4. Getting To Know Him

Dedicated to Thatchigirl
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

It's 4:00pm and I'm at what looks like a mansion. He can't be that rich, right? I don't know.

I press the bell and wait for a few seconds before a woman opens the door. She has brown, wavy hair, tanned skin and the figure of a model. She's wearing a blue sundress and has a soft smile and contagious because I also find myself smiling.

"Hi, I'm looking for Joel Reed. He's my partner for an English project." I explain shyly.

"Oh, you are Amanda I suppose. We've been expecting you."

You have?

"Please come in. Make yourself at home."

She goes back in as I follow her like a lost puppy. I stare in awe as I enter. Everything here screams rich. I say like that until I get two voices. They sound like little boys giggling.

I see two boys running down the stairs and they remind me of Duke and Danny at home. They see me then freeze. They are probably wondering what a girl in black jeans and a grey hoodie is doing in their house. It's awkward.

I try to break the silence

"Hi" I gave a small wave. Unfortunately, I sounded like a rat, so squeaky, something I do when I'm nervous.

"Hello," they said in sync.

They may be twins but one looks older than the other. Maybe.

"We're not twins, I'm 5 years and he's 3 years old."

Then I noticed that I said that out loud. I mentally sighed at my idiocy.

"I'm Joseph and he's Jacob." The bigger one said while taking my hand and shaking it. Then the little one mirrored his big brother's action and let out a small giggle. Cute.

Then I giggle. Then Joseph giggles. Then we find ourselves laughing out loud.

"You're fun. I like you." Jacob said, still giggling.

"I like you too, little man," I said. He's adorablelele.

We got along really well and in a few minutes, we were on the couch, watching Dora the Explorer. I won't say we were watching though, I would term it 'criticizing'.

"Where is the forest?"

"THE FOREST IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU. IS SHE BLIND OR WHAT?!" Joseph shouted frustratedly.

"I really think she is." Jacob agreed.

"I agree," I said while nodding my head.

All this while, we didn't notice Joel watching at us. And he had to ruin the moment.

He sneezed. I'll have to admit, I almost had a heart attack. Then he did the most unbelievable thing ever...

He smiled

That may not seem like a big deal but that guy is like stone. If not made of it.

"You're late, 32 minutes late to be exact," I said annoyed.

"But you weren't ready. So you're also at fault." He argued childishly.

I gotta admit, he's right. So I went silent.

"Let's go." He said, pointing upstairs.

I nodded while following him up the stairs. We got to his room and to my surprise, it wasn't messed up like how movies characterize any guy's room. I thought no he noticed cause I was looking at the room until I heard someone clearing their throat.

"Not what you expected, huh?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Exactly. I thought your room would be messed up with clothes lying around and posters on the wall and you know, stuff like that." I said and he let out a hearty laugh.

To be honest, that was the best sound I've heard all day.

" Now let's begin. What should we start from?" He asked

"Family?" That sounded more like a question.

"Okay."

He sat at the edge of the bed while I sat on the swivel chair at the table. I wanted to stay as far away from home and possible because only God and I know what my subconscious is thinking about.

He starts first.

"I'm the second of five. The first is Jace. He's 21 years. Then Jasmine. She's 15 years. You've met Joseph and Jacob so there's no need to explain. My mom's a nurse and my dad's a lawyer. Jace is at college presently. My dad travels a lot so I only get to see him once in a while." He explains to me while I write it down and take notes.

"Now tell me about your family." He urged.

"Um... Okay. I'm the first of four. I have two little brothers, twins, Duke and Danny. They're 6 years and Penelope. She's 3 years old. My mom's a therapist and my dad works at Radisson Corp. And may I add, my family's a little bit awkward." I explain, whispering the last part.

He was about to respond but the two little J brothers ran in, taking us by surprise and pounced on the both of us.

"Get off me," I said as I was squirming under Jacob. For a child that's 3 years, he's quite heavy.

"Come watch Onward with us." Joseph pleaded while sitting on Joel.

"No. We're busy as you can see." Joel said while shaking his head but they kept on persuading him to agree.

"We'll watch it with you but first things first, get off me," I said, giving in.

"We will?" Joel asked looking confused.

"Yes, we will."

"But -" He continued but I cut him off.

"No buts. We still have time. There's always a tomorrow." I said, authority lacing through my voice. I feel like a mother scolding her child. And surprisingly, he obeyed.

To be honest, I'm really confused. Yesterday, he was cold and unfriendly. Now, he's warm and open. He's bipolar.

We went to the living room and Joel brought chips and soda. We stayed there for an hour or more and that's when I discovered something and my eyes widened...

It's 6:42 pm.

Oh.

I'm done for.