7. Friends

Amanda's POV

Confusing

That's the only word I can use to describe yesterday. I just hope Joel is fine... and hopefully alive. Hopefully.

I'm in school right now and I'm looking out for Joel but I can't seem to find him anywhere. Then Aliya comes along and gives me a questioning look.

"Who are you looking for?"

"Someone," I answer briefly

Just someone?"

"Yup. Someone."I answer whilst straining my neck over the large number of people walking through the hallway

"And who is this ' someone ?"

I turn to look at her. " This someone attends this school."

"And this 'someone doesn't have a name?"

"He does."

Aliya lets out a loud squeal which makes some students look in our direction. " So the someone is a boy. OMG, are you guys dating yet."

I got the back of her head out of annoyance. " Seriously? I just met him a few weeks ago. We aren't even friends."

" You aren't friends with him?"

" Nope."

Now that has me thinking. Are we just partners or are we friends? I mean we talk sometimes outside the school premises but that's just because of this project. Maybe I'll ask him. That's if I remember.

"Oh shit. Just when I had been hoping for you to move on from that horrible heartbreak from the past --" Aliya stops talking when she remembers how sensitive that topic is whenever it's mentioned.

" I'm so sorry. Please don't punch me in the face." Aliya pleads while shielding her face with her books.

"Do you think I'll punch you?" I ask while raising an eyebrow.

"Well, you punched that bitch multiple times when she raised the topic about 'him'."

"Nah. You're different and not a bitch."

"Yeah, I know." She says while grinning from ear to ear.

The bell rings and Aliya and I rush to class.

=*=*=*=

Today went by fast but I didn't see Joel in school today. I hope he's alright. I'm in the kitchen eating a sandwich when I heard the doorbell ring. I head out to the door and find Joel on my porch with a bruise on his cheek and a black eye. That practically scared the shit out of me.

"Oh my God, what the hell happened to you?" I exclaimed while checking his body for any more bruises.

"Nothing to worry about. Just some bruises, that's all." He assured me but that was not convincing enough because he winced when I touched him in the cheek.

"You're hurting physically dumbass. And don't tell me that you're alright 'cause you're not alright."

"I'm telling you, I'm ok--" But I stopped him.

"I don't what to hear that sentence from you or else I'll slap you, and I'm fucking serious," I warned.

"Okay, mother," he said as he rolled his eyes.

"So why did you come here anyway?"

"Because I have nowhere to go and you're my only friend." He said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I was stunned initially because he said we were friends. " We're friends?" I asked to make sure I heard what I think I heard.

"Yeah, friends." He confirmed.

"Ok friend, what do you want to do?"

"What a movie or something?" he suggested.

"That's alright. But you need to be out before 5:30 pm."

"Why?"

"My dad might be back by then, and it's 3:37 pm."

Just then, Aliya strolls into the living room and startles me. And let's say, I get a little bit pissed off when people do that.

"Haven't you heard of something called the doorbell?" I asked, annoyed.

"Sorry, sheesh." She apologized. Her eyes then widen when she spots Joel in the living room leading to some seconds of awkward silence in the room.

I cleared my throat breaking the silence then telling them to introduce themselves to each other since that was the only sensible thing to do. They introduced themselves to each other and that led to other things and now we're on the couch watching 'The big bang theory.

I take a glance at the clock on the wall and it's 5:21 pm. I then push Joel off the couch and he landed on the floor heavily followed by a big thud. I found myself apologizing but laughing like crazy.

"That's not funny." He grumbled.

Meanwhile, Aliya was trying hard not to laugh but she let out small giggles.

"Okay, okay sorry. Is that what you want to hear?"

"Better. But why did you push me?"

"I pushed you because you need to go, like right now."

"Guys, I need to go too, so bye," Aliya said while waving to us then walking out the door.

Joel and I walked to the door and I could tell that he was reluctant to go home.

"If you don't want to go now, you can stay a little while longer. I'm sure my parents would like to meet you."

"Nah, no problem. See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. See you tomorrow. 4:00 pm, don't be late."

"Trust me, I won't," he said with a small smile.

"Bye." I waved.

"Bye," he said with a small nod as he started to walk away.

"Joel?" I called out to him and he turned back.

"Yeah?"

"Be careful."

"I will," he assured me before waking back home. I walked inside and fell on the couch and let out a long, loud sigh.

"Gosh, what a day," I said to myself before walking into my room and I let the darkness consume me.