6. A Broken Home

One thing led to another. My knuckles are slightly bruised but it doesn't hurt or whatever. Long story cut short, I'm here in detention and I must say, it's not what it looks like in movies. Detention is cool. I made new friends - Roman, Theo, Ivy, Aubrey and Drew. Maybe I should come here more often.

Roman is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. He has black, silky hair, cobalt blue eyes and is muscular. He probably spends his free time in the gym. Theo, I must say, looks like a cute bad boy. He's a brunette with hazel coloured eyes. Ivy is alright too but quite creepy. She has black hair with a tint of purple at the tip, dark brown eyes and she's wearing a black crop top which shows the piercing on her navel.

Aubrey looks like the shy type and she is quiet. I wonder what brought her here. She has short, auburn hair and forest green eyes. I also noticed that her knuckles are bruised. Maybe she punched someone. And lastly, Drew. He has dirty blonde hair and pale blue eyes and a charming smile.

Presently, we aren't doing much except for whining about how we despise some teachers, especially Mrs Romanoff, and why we hate Literature - because Mrs Romanoff teaches Literature.

One hour of detention is now over and now it's time to go to Joel's house, with my two troublesome brothers of course.

°°°°°*°°°°°*°°°°

Joel's POV

"Joel, Amanda is coming today, right?"

"Yup Joseph. Why'd you ask?"

"Well, I need her to help me with my homework."

"But I always help you with your homework. Why the sudden change?"

"No offence Joel but she's good."

"Better than me?"

"Um....maybe."

"Okay. But I have to admit, that hurt, real bad."

"Sorry...not sorry," Joseph says, then he runs out of the kitchen. That cute little thing.

It's hard to believe this but Amanda has won the hearts of my mom, Joseph and Jacob. Jasmine hasn't met her yet but since Jasmine is at home, they will obviously meet and maybe talk about whatever girls talk about.

I take a look at the clock and it's 4:46 pm. She was meant to be here an hour ago or so. And because her brothers are also coming over, they could hang out with my brothers and then Amanda and I can be alone and have enough time to ourselves.

That sounded weird

Wait.....let me rephrase that.

We won't be distracted and can focus and finish this project on time. Better.

I hear the doorbell ring. Oh, she must be here.

I head over to the door but Jasmine beat me to it. Oh well. I look closer and see two little boys beside Amanda. They must be her brothers, I suppose.

Just then, Joseph and Jacob run past me and jump on Amanda.

"Damn, I feel rejected and unwanted," I grumbled.

"Is this Joel?" One of her brothers asked.

"Yup. Joel, this is Danny and Duke. Duke and Danny, this is Joel."Amanda introduced us to each other.

"I won't lie, but I'm confused," I said looking back and forth at the two boys. They are really identical. They both have dark skin, black, curly hair and brown eyes.

Amanda let out a heavy sigh." How do I explain this?" she whispered to herself.
Then her face lit up indicating that she realized something.

"Duke has a dimple on his left cheek while Danny has on both cheeks," she explained. "You both should smile," she commanded and they did as told.

I observed the two boys and I saw the difference. The one to her right had two dimples, so that is Danny and the one to her left has one dimple on his left cheek.

"Okay, I understand. Now shall we?"

"Okay. You two should not cause any trouble and stay with Joseph and Jacob, okay," she warned them.

"Okay."

"You betcha."

After that, Amanda and I made our way to my room. She makes herself comfortable on my bed while I stayed on the couch in my room.

"Okay. What should we talk about this time?"

She shrugged. " Let's try out our favourite things."

"Okay. Favourite colour?"

"Blue. Royal blue."

"Mines grey."

"Favourite food?"

"Pasta. Yours?" I answered.

"Mac and cheese. Book?"

"Half of a yellow sun. You?"

"Purple Hibiscus."

We went on like this and I found out a lot of surprising things about her like her fear of scorpions or that she played basketball while she was living in Chicago.

We're currently in my living room with the boys and Jasmine watching a movie when my dad walks in and I immediately tense up, Jasmine's smile faded immediately and Jacob and Joseph come closer to my side. Silence covers the room as soon as his presence is noticed.

My dad is not loved by anyone in the Reed family because he's a heartless, judgemental and fake person. As long as you aren't rich, feared or influential, you're a nobody. And addition to that, he's one of the greatest man whores I've ever known in my life. I'm afraid that he'll make Amanda and her brothers uncomfortable with his remarks. I have to take them out of here now and fast.

"Who do we have here, Joel?"

"And how is that your business?"

"Don't use that tone on me. I'm your father."

I wish

"A father that goes around sleeping with girls young enough to be his daughters," I mumbled but it was loud enough for him to hear the comment.

I looked at him and to say that he looked angry is an understatement. He was so red and there was a vein in his forehead that looked like it could pop out any second from now.

Without thinking, I took Amanda and her brothers outside because I didn't want them to see how broken my family is.

"What happened in there?" she asked, confusion written on her face.

"Nothing important." I noticed that she didn't want to push on further so she kept quiet.

I walked them to her house and Duke and Danny went inside but Amanda stayed behind.

"Sorry about what happened back there." I apologized while I rubbed the back of my neck.

"No problem. When next should we meet up? And also where?"

"Thursday, at your place, okay?"

"Okay. And before I forget, I need your number." She said and I nodded.

We exchanged numbers and went our separate ways.

Only God can prepare me for what awaits me at home.