Chapter thirteen

"Yo Tails, you alright?" Sonic said as he crossed him arms. I was laying down on our- HIS- old couch. How did I get here? I thought I was on my way to Carl's...

"Yeah I think so. How'd I get here?" I looked at my hip to see if I was still injured, only to see nothing.

"Whad'ya mean? You were asleep all peacefully in your hangar, so I brought you inside so you could be warm. To be honest, I thought you left for good."

I froze for a moment. Was all that a dream then? Clare, Silver? The Lich King? Hell, even the Universe???

"Well anyways. Look... I've been meaning to tell you something for awhile now." He kicked at the floor nervously.

"I'm sorry for all the times I left you in the dust in the past. I was stupid for leaving you everywhere I go, and I need to do better," He looked up at me, "Do you forgive me? Will you be my partner again?"

I could tell he meant it. But, as much as I wanted to say yes...

"No." I looked at my feet to hide my guilt, then looked back at him.

"I know you're sorry, but you should've known by now that this should've stopped long ago. Even IF you stopped... I still don't want to live in your shadow. I want to be my own hero. And no offense, I wanted to stop being your partner after Eggman almost took over the whole planet. Because you and your new partner seems like a great pair to me." I eyed the front door. I didn't want to be here after what I just said.

"That was temporary, plus I was locked up for six months! I was itching for adventure and they came along at the perfect time!" Sonic exclaimed as he sat down.

I began to walk slowly towards the door.

"True, but Sonic, Look. I know you're a great guy deep down, and I know you mean well, but I need this. I want my own life. I want to write my own story. My own adventure!" I began to reach for the knob.

"Are you sure, young one?" Sonic said, but in a different, familiar voice.

I pushed the door open, and a bright white light came over me. I stumbled back, observing it. I turned around slowly towards Sonic. His hand was out, like he wanted me to grab it and join him.

I looked at the door and back at him. I had two choices.

"I either stay and hope you change, and continue living in a shadow, or, go in the light and build a new life." I was thinking hard.

Then I made my mind up.

"I'm sorry Sonic." I locked eyes with him and walked over to give him a goodbye hug.

"I NEED this." He hugged me tight, and I did the same. We let go and looked at each other. He was crying hard.

"Go, be your hero." He smiled and motioned me towards the door. I walked toward it and put one foot out before stopping.

"Tell the others I said good bye?" I turned towards the light, and took another step.

The light got brighter to the point I needed to close my eyes. A few moments later I could feel wind blowing through my fur intensely. I opened my eyes, and the wind stopped.

I was free falling, but very slowly. And Silver was right in front of me, no doubt diving for me and trying to save me from becoming a pancake.

I could feel the power rising in me. The pure lightning crawling around me. Even though, I was perfectly calm. The pain went away. I raised my hand for Clare, and she shot towards me. Then everything went back to normal speed.