31

Several hours later the four of you were all swept up in the midst of hair and make-up. Niall, in a rare moment of flashiness, booked him and Emmy a suite in the hotel you'd be staying at, so all of you had been camped out in the huge living area of their room since you had arrived from the airport. It had started with some shared lunch but as the bottles of champagne started arriving, you'd ended up staying.

Eventually a hair and make-up team made their way to the room to start prepping you all for the awards evening. You'd never been pampered like this before, as you'd never had a reason to get someone else to do it for you, but you had to admit you felt really excited by the prospect.

Harry and Niall introduced you to the head of the prep team, a lovely women called Lou who the boys had known since forever, who had also brought a little assistant in the form of her gorgeous daughter Lux.

During one of the breaks from being pampered while yours and Emmy's nails were drying, you all sat around chatting, "So a nice little couples break for all of you then?" Lou asked.

You jolted slightly at her use of the plural, a little bit of champagne sloshing down the side of your glass. Harry had also noticed and had looked up from where he'd been sitting on the floor playing with Lux. His eyes shifted worriedly from you to Lou and back again.

"Oh um, we're not, I mean me and Harry aren't...um..."

"Yeah no, uh, we're not a couple," Harry finished for you. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. You could swear there was a hint of sadness in the droop of his shoulders.

Emmy and Niall chose this point to just stay quiet and find the carpet suddenly very interesting.

"Oh! Sorry my bad, guess I just read the vibe wrong!" Lou laughed.

You felt some of the awkward tension fade away as everyone joined in with the small laughter. Luckily the conversation moved on quickly but you couldn't ignore the thump of your heart in your chest, did you and Harry really seem like a couple?

Eventually Emmy whisked the boys away so that you and her could have some girly privacy, but she also claimed that they were only allowed to see them once they were fully ready for the night, "It's basically the same as it being bad luck if the groom sees the bride on the wedding day!" She had said.

Before you knew it you were back in your own room standing in front of the full length mirror zipping your dress up. It was a beautiful dress made of silk and satin that fell to the floor and pooled at your feet. You had to admit it was quite simple, but since this was your first awards show you wanted to wear something that made you feel confident and pretty, which this dress certainly did. And anyways, it might be simple, but you were sure it would also be effective. Especially for Harry, a part of your subconscious reminded you.

The memory of that night when Harry had told you red was definitely your colour played through your mind. Your fingertips trailed over the corner of your mouth and cheek as you felt the ghost of his lips there. You couldn't help the shiver that ran across your spine at the thought of his touch that night, the look in his eyes and the way he spoke in that hushed, slow tone...

Stop it, you scolded yourself. There was no time to be thinking of these memories right now, they only served as a reminder of what could've been.

You'd opted for simple gold jewellery; a dainty bracelet and long, thin dangly earrings. Lou had fashioned your hair into a relaxed low bun with some wavy strands that framed your face to show off the high neckline of the dress. The bun was secured by a stunning gold hair slide that had little leaves and gems along it that matched the golden leaves on your shoes. You felt beautiful.