Chapter 17- A Beautiful Dream

"...Little did they know that from then on, it would carve their destinies into a tragedy..."

-Charlie POV-

-Evening-

-September 1st, 1920-

The sceneries were nothing but a green blur, with a mix of other vibrant colors as we drove down the rural road. Occasionally a cow would be in the pasture, and I would tell excitedly to Al that I saw a cow. They were far different from the hellish animals back home.

I turned to look at Al, who calmly hummed a tune while he drove, and turned to look at me, his smile widening. Maybe it was something in the breeze, maybe the scenery, but I felt a huge wave of nostalgia washing over me, reminding me to live in the moment. The longer I stared around me, the more I felt like this moment was already a memory so far beyond my reach.

"So where are you taking me?" I insisted. It had been like this ever since I got in the car. Al unexpectedly came to my apartment, and thankfully, I was already in my human disguise. He asked me if I was busy, to which I said no because I really wasn't. Back at home, my parents decided to attend a meeting that would last around 3 days, and I had told the servants to take the day off since I could take care of myself. Meanwhile Razzle and Dazzle were on the loo out, just in case.

"It's a surprise My Dear! If I were to tell you, then it wouldn't be a surprise." He replied, chuckling as he stared back at me in a way it made me feel very funny, and making me a bit nervous. All I knew about where we were potentially going had to do with the basket in the backseat which released a smell of jambalaya along with other sweets.

During the past couple of months, me and Al's friendship had been great. I confided in him with many things I wouldn't really tell anyone back at home. He was charming, and never failed to make me smile whenever I came here to relieve some stress and forget things back home.

He was a very sweet human, who was genuinely nice and caring. There was no flaw to him. He was human... he wasn't like the other humans I heard rumors about, those who were selfish, perverse, sickening.. sinners.

And if he wasn't a sinner, then I wouldn't see him back in Hell. He would go to Heaven. That made me sad, there was no point in denying it. I enjoyed our company, and it already was about to be cut short because his time would be gone before we could both realize it. My stomach seemed to tie itself in knots.

Years for me were like months, but to humans, their sense of time was different. Al's life span was going to be short. Yet when I was with him, time seemed to just vanish, and our time could feel eternal.

"I know but maybe a clue wouldn't hurt!" I said as I leaned my face to him, begging him as I stared at him with the 'puppy eyes'. Ignoring my previous thoughts so I wouldn't have to ruin the mood. Al looked at me and sighed. "I see you're using your precious puppy eyes to get the truth out of me." He noted as I nodded.

"It's not going to work! " He teased as he turned to the left, and we now faced the sun, shining brightly, and giving the scenery a more cheerful tone.

"Pleaseeeee!" I begged, ready to explode out of excitement.

"Nope, you won't get a single word about our whereabouts My Dear!" He chuckled once more as I puffed my cheeks.

What I liked about Al, is that when he referred to me as 'My Dear', he genuinely meant it. He said it in the way that for a brief moment in time. he ignored everything else and focused solely on me. I never had anyone else make me feel like the way he did.