Chapter 2

The next day was pretty boring. Camila didn't see Lauren but she didn't know if she should be relieved or disappointed. So after school, the two girls headed back to Camila's to study. Camila and Dinah were lying on their stomachs on Camila's bed, studying when Dinah's iPhone buzzed. Just as she was reaching for it, Camila gave her a look.

"What?"

"We're suppose to be studying, remember?" Camila reminded her friend.

"It'll be quick."

Camila quickly reached out and grabbed Dinah's phone and ended the call without checking the caller ID.

"Hey! What if that was important?" Dinah asked.

"Then you can call them back later," Camila said as she placed Dinah's phone down beside her.

It buzzed again. This time, it was a text. Curious, Camila looked down at the screen.

Hey dmac! We should really meet up soon. You, me and the girls. What'd you say? - N

Camila looked at her best friend who was biting her lips as she read her notes with furrowed eyebrows.

"Who's N?" Camila asked.

"Um, nobody," Dinah said as she avoided eye contact.

"Dinah Jane Hansen," Camila said with a warning tone.

"God, you sound like my mom," Dinah complained.

"Just tell me," Camila said.

"If you really must know, N is for Normani. She's a friend. She's a year older and she already graduated," Dinah said.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I didn't want you to feel left out. I know that you don't have many friends..." Dinah rambled on.

Camila couldn't help but smile. Her smile faded as she leaned in and rested her head on Dinah's shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay," she said softly.

"You're not mad?"

"Why would I be mad?" Camila asked as she lifted her head, "You have the right to have other friends."

"But you know I love you, right?" Dinah asked, "You're my Chancho to my CheeChee," she added.

"Aw, I love you too, DJ," Camila said as she touched her forehead with hers.

There was a soft knock on the door but the two girls turned towards it anyways as the door opened.

"Hey girls," a woman said.

"Hey Mama C," Dinah said.

"Hi Mama," Camila said at the same time.

"What's up?"

"I'm making some sandwiches. Do you girls want anything?"

"No, we're good."

Camila's mother, Sinu Cabello smiled before walking away, closing the door behind her. The two girls continued to study for one more hour before Dinah had to leave. Camila walked her to the door and the girls hugged goodbye.

~

Two days later, Camila went to school early, as usual. She went to the music room to find that it was already occupied.

"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't see you," she said.

The boy stood up and smiled.

"Hey I know you!" he said.

"Camilla, right?"

"It's actually Ca-mee-la," Camila corrected,

"Oh right, sorry. My bad... Um, I'm Austin. Austin Mahone."

"I uh... I've heard you sing before. You have an amazing voice."

"Oh, wow, thank you."

"It's nice to meet you, Austin," Camila said as she took his hand and shook it.

They pulled away and smiled at each other. Austin Mahone was tall, slightly skinny and he had a lean built. His hair was curly but short. He wore a simple t-shirt with a grey hoodie over it with the sleeves rolled up to the big part of his forearm. He wore dark blue skinny jeans and converse sneakers.

"So um, do you play?"

"I'm not any good," Camila said as she saw that he was referring to the piano.

"Of course you'd say that about yourself," he said as he took a seat at the piano bench.

"C'mon," he said as he pulled her down beside him.

Austin began playing a few notes from 'River Flows In You' and he nudge her with his elbow a few times, urging her to play along. As he played, her hands hovered over the keys for a moment before she began playing. Not long after, she was lost in the music. She didn't even realize that Austin had stopped playing and was watching her every movement as she played to soft lullaby. When she finished, he was staring at her in awe.

"What?" she asked.

"That was beautiful," said Austin.

"You are beautiful," he added.

Camila looked away as she blushed. Austin smiled at her before he reached up and continued playing a random melody. Camila joined in, playing against his melody, creating a harmony. For a brief moment, their hands touched. Camila looked up at him to find him already staring at her.

Before anything happened, she moved away and got up. She apologized as she took her backpack from the floor and ran out of the music room as fast as she could. She ran until she saw Dinah by her locker.

~

"Cheech!"

"Whoa! Slow down there, Chancho," Dinah said as she held her panting friend by her shoulders.

"What's wrong?"

"I almost kissed someone," Camila blurted out in a whisper.

"What? Who?"

"A guy I just met in the music room. He said his name was Austin?"

"Well, what happened?"

"We were playing the piano and something happened and we almost kissed if I didn't pull away," Camila said.

"Oh my god!"

"I know! I'm so stupid!"

"Okay, calm down. You're not stupid. Nothing's going to happen. Okay?" Dinah asked as she shut her locker door.

Camila thanked her as she nodded. Dinah hooked her arm with Camila's as they walked to class. Before she entered class, Camila saw Austin looking at her worriedly. But that wasn't the thing that caught her attention. As her eyes focused on the person behind him, she saw none other than Lauren Jauregui looking at her. It was different from the way Austin looked at her but she couldn't tell what. Camila Cabello just walked in the class.