Chapter 5

"Camila!"

Camila turned around and was surprised when she saw Austin approaching her.

"I'm surprised that you finally learned my name," Camila said.

"Yeah, sorry about that," Austin said sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it," Camila said as she brushed it off, "So what's up?"

"I was wondering... Would you like to go out with me sometime?"

"Like a date?"

"Yeah," he said nervously.

"Don't you have detention?"

"Nope. I served out my detention. So... Is that a yes?"

"That's a maybe," Camila said as she walked away.

"I'll take it!" Austin called out.

~

Her next class was English. Camila took her seat as she waited. Her teacher, Miss Lovato walked in and wrote only one word on the black board; project. She turned to the class and smiled.

"So, I'm going to shake things up a bit, if you don't mind," Miss Lovato said.

"Instead of boring reading assignments and essays, let's do a project," she said and the class cheered.

"Okay, so for this project, it's simple. I want you to partner up and make a video. Now, I know you guys are seniors but I'm pretty sure you don't know everyone in your own class. So here's the catch, you have to partner up with someone you don't know," she said and the class let out a loud whine.

"Alright! Alright! Hush, my children," she said jokingly.

"I want you to get to know your partners and make a video about them. It can be about anything, favorite memory, favorite place, anything! But it has to be about your partner."

"Okay, ready?" she asked the class and people were hovering above their seats, ready to move.

"Go!" And the class went wild. People were running around, busy looking for a worthy partner. Camila just sat at her seat, watching as all the other people were being taken, one by one.

"Okay, who doesn't have a partner?"

Camila raised her hand. She was surprised when she saw Lauren raise her hand too.

"Alright then. You two are partners."

Camila lowered her hand as she looked at Lauren nervously.

"Okay class, remember, you have three weeks to do this and I want you to give it your all," Miss Lovato said.

"I will help you any way I can. All you have to do is ask. Good luck."

"And may the odds be ever in your favor," she said dramatically, quoting Suzanne Collin's Hunger Games.

The class laughed, just as the bell started to ring. The students gathered their books and bags and headed out of the classroom. Camila saw Lauren rush out of class. She quickly grabbed her bag and books and ran after her.

~

"Hey! Wait up!" Camila called out.

"I didn't think you'd follow me," Lauren said amusedly.

"So um, do you want to meet after school?"

"Sure. Where?"

"Really? Wow, okay. Um, there's a small café not far from here. We could go there?"