56: I Can't Wait

Peter's POV:

"Okay so what's your plan?" Ned asked as we walked to school.
"After school, we fly around town and have fun for a while, then at sunset I take her to the top of the Empire state building to look at the view, and when the moment is right I ask her to go on a date with me." I said getting nervous with every word I spoke.
"Okay, and what are you not going to do?"
"Be a wuss and back out of asking her." I said earning a satisfied nod from Ned.
"You've got this!" Ned said putting his hand on my shoulder.
"What if she doesn't like me like that, and it's awkward after?"
"As I've said before, it's obvious she likes you. I can see it when she looks at you or when she smiles at you."
I smiled as Ned went on and confidence surged through me.
When we got to school I walked to my locker placing my books inside, I turned and looked down the hall to see Lizzy at her locker. Her hair was in a low ponytail today, and she wore a black skirt with a large sweatshirt over it, I was caught in a trance as I watched as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She turned to me as if sensing I was staring. A smile formed on her face and she closed her locker walking towards me.
"Hi," she said softly.
"Hi," I said feeling my cheeks turn red. We stood for a moment.
"Are you ready for class?" she said with a light giggle as she spoke.
"Oh, yeah!" I said remembering class was going to start, I then closed my locker and we started walking.
"I'm excited for after school, I think it's going to be fun," she said holding her books to her chest as we wove threw the crowded hallways.
"Me too, I'm really excited," I said as I started to feel nervous again.
The rest of the day I anxiously waited for school to end, finally when the bell rang, releasing us I ran down the hall excitedly to Elizabeth's locker. She grabbed a book from her locker placing it in her bag and then closed it, she smiled at me and I felt my heartbeat quicken.
"Ready?" I asked earning a quick nod from her. We walked out of the school and down the street to an empty alley.
Elizabeth grabbed a rolled up leather suit from her bag. I watched as she took her sweatshirt off, she looked at me and giggled softly as she moved her finger telling me to turn around.
I felt my face turn red and I quickly turned away, "Sorry, sorry." I said as I mentally face palmed.
After a few moments, Elizabeth tapped my shoulder and I turned around. She wore a black and grey leather suit, she put her hood smiling as she did it.
"Wow!" I said grabbing her hand and twirling her, "You look so cool!"
She giggled, "Thank you, this is my first time actually wearing it," she pulled up her mask covering her mouth and nose, "hurry up, let's go already," she said.
I quickly grabbed my suit out of my bag and put it on, when I finished Lizzy turned around I smiled at her and put my mask on, I shot my web to the top of the apartment building next to us. I swung up to the edge of the building and then shot another web swinging over the busy street, Lizzy ran and pushed herself off the ground, flying over the cars, and following closely behind me. We flew over cars and people, weaving our way through the streets. Soon we reached the top of a tall building, we ran across the rooftop, racing to the edge, when Elizabeth reached the edge she leapt off, I stopped suddenly, and looked over the edge to see her fly up to me, she hovered in the air close to me. I let out a deep breath.
"What's wrong?" she said with a smile.
"I didn't know you were going to do that, you scared me." she smiled, and landed on the edge of the building next to me.
"Watch this," she gathered darkness but it didn't swarm her fingers instead it made a small dark cloudy surface in front of us. She put her foot out and stepped on the surface she had created out of the darkness.
"Woah, how are you doing that?"
"I don't know, I just told myself that the darkness can be whatever I want it to be, so I made it a solid surface." She gathered more darkness making the surface bigger, she then reached her hand out to me. "Come on,"
I looked below her and then looked back at her. "I won't let you fall." she said in a soft voice.
I took a deep breath and grabbed her hand, stepping onto the surface, to my surprise the surface felt just as solid as the building I had stepped off.
I looked below my feet and stared down to see the dark cloudy surface and the ground below us, when I turned to Elizabeth I noticed she was looking up at me, I hadn't realized how close I was to her and that I was still holding her hand.
This is it Peter, ask her.
"Spiderman!" A person yelled from below making us both turn. People began to crowd below us, some taking pictures and videos. They began to discuss with each other who Elizabeth was, some pointing at her. The crowd of people began to wave at us.
I could see she was smiling under her mask. I turned back to the crowd of people and began to wave back at them, Elizabeth did too.
"We should go," I said turning to Elizabeth, she nodded, and I shot a web swinging away from her. Elizabeth gathered her darkness and followed close up behind me, I could hear the awes from the crowd of people.
We were now nearing Midtown Manhattan, and the sun was setting, the Empire State building was only a few blocks away from us.
"Hey, uh I'm getting kind of tired, you mind if we rest for a little?" I shouted to Elizabeth, she nodded.
Soon we reached the top of the Empire State building. We sat down on the edge, taking off our masks. The sun had just fallen below the horizon.
"Wow," Elizabeth said a little out of breath, "It's beautiful."
We admired the view quietly for a few moments as the sky darkened and the the lights of the city grew brighter. There was a distant hum of cars and people coming from the city. I felt my palms begin to sweat even though it was cold. But as the silence stretched between us I began to get more nervous.
"Do you want to listen to music?" I asked, prompting Lizzy to smile brightly. I took my phone out of my suit and began to play some music.
The softpickings of the guitar and the gentle romance of the song masked the sound of the city. I turned to Lizzy, her nose was pink because of the chill in the air, she looked so beautiful in the light of the city. I stood up, standing on the ledge, she looked up at me, I put my hand out to her.
"Do you want to dance? Since you know, we didn't get to at homecoming." She smiled, giving me her hand, and she stood up.
"I'd love to."
I placed my other hand on her waist and she stepped closer to me, we swayed back and forth, keeping up with the pace of the song. I then twirled her and pulled her back to me. As the song faded to its end our movement slowed until we were still. She looked up at me and our eyes locked, her face was so close to mine I could smell the vanilla perfume she wore. I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear but let my hand remain on the side of her face, I ran my thumb over a small scar on the side of her cheek, and took note in the softness of her skin. And without a moment of thought I leaned in and kissed her, my other hand moved from her waist to the other side of her face and her hands moved to the back of my neck. I felt like I was floating and like nothing else mattered.
"Do you want to go on a date with me?" I said as we parted, my hands still holding the sides of her face.
"I was worried you were never going to ask." She said with giggle.
I leaned in again this time just giving her a small peck.
"I should get home, Happy is going to get worried." She said putting up her hood and mask on. She then gathered the darkness, lifting herself in the air.
"Friday at 7:30, I'll pick you up." 
"I can't wait," she said before flying off.
"You did it!" I said to myself letting out a light laugh, "You really did it!" I jumped up and down in excitement, and began to feel the aching in my cheeks from my smile.