Niall's Birthday

True to his word, Louis had talked to his friends about Niall's birthday. Surprisingly, only Zayn could make it: Lauren had a softball game and Camila and Shawn were going (Camila to support her girlfriend, Shawn to be her (fake) boyfriend) Eleanor and Perrie had cheerleading, and Taylor was stuck on babysitting duty. Louis put on a blue tee shirt that matched his eyes with ripped black jeans, and picked up a Nando's gift card for Niall. He then drove to Zayn's house, picking up his best friend, who was holding a present for Niall under his arm. It was a rainy day, so the boy did his best to prevent the box from getting wet.

"Get in, mate. Before you get so wet you'll soak my car!" Louis said, rolling down the window of the passenger seat. Zayn rolled his eyes, quickly opening his door and sitting inside, getting splashed a bit by the raindrops entering the open window.

"Close the window, idiot," Zayn said, and Louis did as his friend asked. "So, Liam's gonna be there. How do you think it'll go?"

Louis shrugged, "I'm hoping nothing bad happens. Just in case something happens, I have Javadd in the back," the blue-eyed boy nodded towards a bag in the backseat which contained his costume.

Zayn nodded, clearly impressed, "Great job. I don't think we'll need Javadd though. Liam's scared shitless."

Louis glanced over at his friend, "Do you still like him?"

Zayn sighed, and Louis looked back at the road, thinking the dark-haired boy wouldn't answer. After a couple long minutes, Zayn answered, "I don't know. I still smile when I think of him and I- I do sometimes get tongue-tied around him. But after what happened... I can't forget that. 'Cause while it only happened once, he seemed really homophobic. Then, however, I always think that maybe it was an act. Liam is friends with Harry after all." Zayn glanced over at Louis, who nodded.

"Yeah. I think it would be interesting to watch how Liam acts today," Louis said, and out of the corner of his eye, saw Zayn nod in agreement. "Then we can figure out how to proceed."

"Yeah, good idea Lou," Zayn said, and they found themselves on Niall's driveway. The two boys got out of the car (after parking it of course) and rung the doorbell. 

Harry's blond friend opened the door. "Oh, hi! Louis, Zayn, come in!"

Zayn handed the blond the box, "Happy birthday Niall!"

Niall beamed, "Thanks so much." 

Niall had grown up in Ireland, and moved last year, so the lad had an Irish accent, and pronounced "Thanks" like tanks, which Louis found endearing. 

"This is for you as well, mate," Louis handed Niall and envelope, which contained a birthday card and the gift card.

Zayn and Louis followed Niall inside his house, to the lounge, where Liam and Harry were playing video games. There were some board games set up as well, and the 3 boys sat down, waiting for Liam and Harry to finish their game. Once they finished, Niall announced his plans for the rest of the day.

"Okay lads," Niall started, grinning, "I'm thinking we can play some games and things while eating food, which I will bring from the kitchen periodically. Afterwards, we can watch some movies and order takeout for dinner."

"You've got to open your presents too, mate," Harry added, "I want everyone to know that I got you the best present possible."

"Actually, Haz," Louis butted in, "I got Niall the best present." he nodded to the blond, "It's something so spectacular everyone else's presents will seem boring."

Zayn rolled his eyes, "I think we all know who the hottest person in the room is," he pointed towards himself, "so my present automatically wins."

Liam frowned, "You're not wrong, mate, but that logic makes no sense."