Chapter Three: Alice

"Jace! Finally!" A blur of black and white- and then a girl, a surprisingly short girl of 5'2 appeared in front of me. I would've reveled in the fact that I found someone shorter than me for once, except for the fact that she was suddenly clutching my neck with her arms wrapped around me, her face nestled on top of my shoulder. My entire body stood upright and stiff, my arms froze by my sides in reaction.

"Alice, give the girl some room, dear." A honey-silk voice chided in front of me. The girl clutching to my body let go of my neck and backed away a few feet to scrutinize me. I glanced at her face and then looked down at my feet in embarrassment and I was sure that if I was human, blood would rush to my cheeks like no one's business. "How do you know my name?" Jasper walked towards her and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, kissing her head, a large grin on his face. "She's sort of a psychic." Eyebrows raised, "She can see the future?"

"Something like that." The pixie sized girl said with a smile on her face.

"You must be Jace. I'm Esme." Another woman had appeared beside Jasper and Alice, preventing me from asking any further questions. She held her hand out, giving me a timid smile, as if afraid to frighten me. I reached my hand to meet hers, softly clasping it in my palm to shake it. "Nice to meet you, Esme." I replied politely. Carlilse then stood beside me, placing a careful hand on my shoulder. "Are you ready to go inside?" He asked, a kind and welcoming smile on his face. I glanced nervously up at him and nodded.

They walked me to the front door, allowing me to observe the exterior, and what stood before me was a beautiful modern cabin. Large, clear glass windows all around the house only framed with wood. A large deck at every window to sit and enjoy the outside. Trees and flowers and bushes lined up everywhere in sight, with the forest right behind it. It was also very big, easily livable with a large family. How many of them were there? This is not what I had expected, and I was so preoccupied when I had awaken from the change that I hadn't realized the place I was in.

"It's beautiful." I said, just above a whisper. "Thank you, I worked very hard on it." Esme peered . "I designed it, the others helped me build it."

I stood still, baffled. Still admiring it. "What were you expecting? A dungeon?" Alice said, laughing like wedding bells. "Kind of." I said, sheepish. Alice grabbed my hand, "Let's go inside!" With me in tow, she lead me into the house where a living space and a kitchen met. In the living room was a long, leather couch, small rectangular resting sofas in front of it to rest your feet. Beautifully decorated, it stood parallel from the large glass window so you could directly see the front of the house from the couch, the wood giving a rustic feel. Before getting to the kitchen, there stood an extravagant wooden staircase lined with miniature chandeliers.

"Wow." I said. Alice walked me into the kitchen with marble countertops and rustic cabinets. There stood a marble island with barstools across from the stove. "Wait, if vampires don't eat, why do you have a kitchen?" I asked.

"It's to keep up appearances." I ran my hand over one of the countertops. From the kitchen I could see another back space behind the staircase. I tentatively walked forward to it and there stood another living space, with similar glass windows to the front. Except this room there was a huge grand piano in the far corner. I gaped and flitted to the piano to run my fingers lightly over the keys. I played a familiar melody that my brother had taught me.

"That's beautiful." Esme's voice came from beside me. I looked up, and was surprised I was able to continue playing without looking at the keys. I'd usually messed up after the first two measures but I played with perfect dexterity whilst my eyes were on Esme. I smiled softly at her. "Do you play?" She asked. I looked back down at the keys. "I used to." My voice came out solemn.