Chapter Ten: Crushes, Apologies, and Conversations

Jace POV

"When you became a wolf, was it scary? What was it like?" Leah and I sat on the couch now, facing each other. She sat curled up and sitting with her legs crossed, leaning towards me, holding a mug of coffee to her chest.

I didn't know why she wanted to drink coffee at 10 at night, but I wasn't going to ask. To each their own, I guess.

"Well, it wasn't sudden. It's like it built up over time. I would get so angry at the smallest things, if Seth was being annoying or if mom wouldn't stop talking." I nodded with her, wanting her to continue. She took a sip of her coffee- straight black with no cream or sugar.

"My senses heightened all of the sudden, and my body started to change." She glanced down at herself.

I followed her, my eyes running down her chest. Catching myself, I looked away, back up at her hazel irises. She laughed, and for a second I thought she'd seen it, a jolt ran through me- but she looked down, fidgeting with her mug.

"That part was nice. I muscled up, lost some weight." A breathy laugh escaped me, catching her eyes to mine again.

"I can relate to that, except it was sudden for me. I got hot in just a few days." I laughed again, looking at my hands.

"Or... cold." We laughed together, and then she continued.

"My dad saw that I was changing and his health wasn't good at all, and he freaked out." She swallowed, and all humor was gone. I listened intently, folding my hands together to rest them on my thigh. She paused for a second, looking at me.

"He had a heart attack because of me." I could feel the lines between my brows form.

"What happened?"

"I had already phased before he knew. He was worried about me- Sam told him."

"Did he already know about the wolves?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yes, but he didn't think I would be one." She pursed her lips and looked down, staring at my hands. I dared not to move an inch.

"Why? I mean, if you're a descendant, right?"

"I'm the only female who has ever phased. At least, that we know of. Our tribe didn't exactly keep records."

"You're the only female? I thought you could phase whether or not you're male. It's not just a tribal thing?" She nodded no.

"It's only ever been men."

I thought about it for a moment. Leah was the only girl in the pack as far as I could see, and she wasn't an imprint. At least I hoped she wasn't. And then I thought of something else.

"Does that get lonely?" She looked up at me then.

"What?"

"Does that get lonely? I mean, being the only girl?" It was quiet for a few seconds.

"Yeah, how'd you know that?" She asked me, her gaze intense.

"I- I grew up with a brother. And I didn't really have friends. It was nice, to have him. But I wish I had a sister too, because my mom wasn't there to teach me the things I needed to know as... a woman." I spoke, nearly whispering. Her gaze gave me butterflies. She nodded.

"Yeah, but it's different than that. I... feel like a freak. Like something is wrong with me, you know? It made me think, was I supposed to be a boy? How am I different?"

"Oh, Leah." Out of pure instinct, I reached over to cover my hand with hers without thinking about it, and as if I scared her, she pulled her hand away out from under mine. Hurt flashed over me at the rejection and I pulled my hand away, looking down in embarrassment.