Chapter Thirteen: Confessions

Leah POV

Jace in the sun was both shockingly beautiful and soul bursting, filling my heart with something I could only call love. The fact that vampires sparkled in the sun had always been sort of eerie to me, unsettling. But the way she looked now, gleaming like diamonds as the sun sat in the middle of the sky, my perspective had changed to say the least.

The irony of it was that she had no idea.

We had sat on a log in our path, sitting and talking like normal people. But she sat on the side where the sun streamed in through the mountain trees, completely oblivious to how ethereally stunning she really looked.

She was telling me about a story from when she was younger, her mother had made cookies and she'd eaten all of them, unable to help herself. The image of five year old Jace crawling to stand on a chair to sneakily eat cookies made me chuckle. When her mom walked back into the kitchen to see all of the cookies gone; she hollered to Jace, automatically knowing it was her.

"My brother overheard her lecturing me and raced to the kitchen to defend me, not even realizing what was going on. He ran in and yelled, 'I did it! Jace didn't do it, I swear!' Of course, mom knew he was lying to protect me, and in turn started lecturing him about lying. It never worked though, because he spent the rest of our childhood protecting me from everything, and if he had to lie to do that he would." She had been smiling in the beginning of the story, reminiscing about her childhood. But now she looked down, almost sad.

"You miss him, don't you?" I asked. I hated to see her like this, her hair in her face, her eyes downward. She nodded and sighed.

"Enough of that, though." She forced a smile, looking back at me. "I feel like we've been talking so much about me, I want to know more about you."

"What do you want to know?"

"Earlier you were talking about before you phased, but you're hiding something. I understand if you don't want to talk about it." Her words almost slurred out too fast- she was afraid to offend me.

I internally winced. "You noticed that?"

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to." She assured me, her face all concern.

And that's what it was: concern. Curiosity. I took some solace in knowing that she wanted to know me- that meant that the effort I was putting into trying to get her to fall for me was working, even if it was little progress.

I inhaled a breath.

I wouldn't hide.

"Before phasing came into my life everything was perfect." I began. She perked up, completely facing me.

"I was in highschool, I was human and happy, and I had a wonderful boyfriend that I would marry in just a short few years."

Jace POV

"Sam Uley?" I gasped. She nodded, her lips zipped in a tight line.

I reverted back to the bonfire, when I witnessed the interactions of the couples on the beach. I hadn't talked to any of them, and I didn't know any of their names but I did know who Sam Uley was, the ex alpha of the pack. He had stopped phasing to be with his imprint, Emily, to marry her and grow old with her- they were trying to have kids. But they were still involved in pack matters, as Jacob frequently went to him for major decisions.

I hadn't paid attention to any one couple, but all of them as a whole. But I distinctly remembered having a glance at Sam and Emily- and it was hard to imagine that they had ever been apart. He moved with her- every little movement or gesture Emily made, he seemed to mirror it, like she was apart of him. Not to mention the way he looked at her- the unwavering love I could see between them had made me smile. It was hard to believe that Sam had ever been with anyone else- Emily was his and he was hers.