Chapter Seven: The Wolves

Pretending to sleep had been better than being bored all night, surprisingly. Emmett had questioned me at some point during the middle of it, asking what I was doing. He joined me after I explained it to him. It was nice to sit back and relax in silence in his presence. Eventually however, he stopped and said being still wasn't his forte. I swear in his human life, he had ADHD.

In the early morning, Edward asked if I would play chess with him. He also apologized profusely for the afternoon before. I told him it wasn't his fault.

"No, no. Jace, I'm deeply sorry. I didn't know what you were going through, and I should have taken that into account before I got defensive."

"I understand. You thought I was about to hurt your daughter."

"Yes- but... I wanted to ask you something." He spoke timidly, which was odd after being around his serious demeanor.

"Yes?"

"What was that? Those images? They played in your head like a screenplay."

I pursed my lips, unsure of how to respond. It was odd to hear my own head from someone else's perspective, and the fact that a stranger already knew so much about me shot nerves up my stomach.

The truth was, I didn't really know the answer to that question. All I knew is that these flashes and images were always through my own eyes. It felt like I was experiencing my childhood all over again.

"I think you have PTSD, Jace."

I blanked. "What? Why would you say that?"

"It's not the same as human PTSD, but very similar. It's different for us because we're vampires, our emotions are that much stronger- just like our increased physical abilities."

I laughed. "But the point of vampires is that we're basically perfect- it wouldn't make any sense."

"Not exactly. Our chemical balance is perfect, sure. But not our trauma."

My mood automatically shifted.

I scoffed at him. "What are you, my psychiatrist now?" I spat at him.

Hell no. I was not about to have this conversation with a fucking stranger.

Hearing my agitation, he stopped talking for a moment.

"I'm sorry, Jace. I shouldn't be pushing this onto you. You've got a lot on your chest." He spoke sincerely.

I scoffed again. What right did he have?

"You said that you wouldn't invade my privacy." My arms were crossed now, my face hard.

"It's not something I can control, but you're right. I should keep my thoughts to myself."

Ya think? I thought coldly.

He pursed his lips and didn't speak again for a long time.

When my mind drifted off, he spoke again.

"Would you still play chess with me?"

I glared at him suspiciously.

"Why?"

My mind was different he said, my thoughts worked in an abnormal manner, and he wanted to study me so him and Carlilse could discuss it. I explained that I had never played chess in my life and that that was a very old man thing to do, but he didn't complain and taught me anyway. It had been boring when he taught me, but after winning three times in a row it was fun.

"I don't think you realize you have an advantage here, Jace." He'd told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked him. Carlilse was watching us and spoke, "No one ever wins against Edward unless it's Alice, because he usually reads their thoughts before they even make the move. The fact that you've beat him multiple times isn't a regular occurrence in this house."