Chapter Fourteen: Vision

Leah POV

I sat at my kitchen table, watching Jace dance around with an odd fascination. She had her hair tied back in a high ponytail that bounced around as she gracefully worked, doing a million things at once. Her feet did a rhythmic shuffle as her arms moved from one thing to another. A small smile played on her lips as she hummed a song, mixing and cooking and cleaning.

She hopped up without much effort to grab things she needed from the counters and cupboards, she worked as if she knew the kitchen well, and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

I simply watched her move, awed by the adorable creature in my line of sight. The stream of sunlight that filtered through the windows from the sink would touch her briefly as she danced, and every so few minutes a gleam would shine from her skin. The way her hands worked with grace held me, the way her body moved so freely was tantalizing. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

If you had seen her before this morning, she was a different person. Tense, almost afraid to make too big of a movement. She would smile, but it would never reach her eyes.

But now, she was like this bird who had been set free. She moved without deliberation and her energy felt much lighter.

Had I done this? Had I had such an effect on her as she had on me? I could feel the weight lifting off of my shoulders as I spent time with her and I realized how very possible it could be that she felt that too.

"What?" She said, after setting my plate of fresh pancakes in front of me. I'd been staring at her for a while and when she noticed a grin colored her face. The scent of the pancakes wafted from the plate to my nose, and my stomach growled again.

"Aren't you going to eat?" She giggled at me. I grabbed the fork in response.

"Yeah, just enjoying the view first." I grinned back, and as she looked down with a coy smile I stuffed a piece of pancake in my mouth.

I hummed in the back of my throat. "This is delicious."

Really it came out like "zish ish icious", complete gibberish to her.

"What?" She laughed at me, definitely not knowing what I said. I gulped the bite down.

"This is delicious." I told her again. "How'd you learned how to make homemade pancakes? And vegan at that?" I asked, glancing down at my plate.

She blew a hair out of her face. "Thank you. Esme taught me- I wanted to make Nessie some breakfast to cheer her up this week." Her pearly whites shined as a gleam of triumph beamed in her eyes.

"Did she like them?"

"She loved them."

We sat in peace for a moment, and as I ate she stared out the window. Her eyes, usually amber were now golden, almost a topaz and the way her skin reflected the sun took my breath away.

This moment felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. She was far too beautiful to be real. And for a second I thought I was dreaming, but she was really here, this fairytale creature in front of me, just casually sitting in my kitchen.

I could hardly believe that in such a short time, my life had changed so much and all simply because of her. The happiness, the energy that swarmed inside me was overwhelming and I had an urge to take her in my arms and squeeze her.

I was absolute putty in her hands.

I understood the thoughts I heard in the pack mind now, the strings that had held each wolf to their imprint.
There was no going back before, but I was sure to be empty if I ever lost her.
I realized I stopped chewing.