Chapter Nine: Resting

"Jace?" A voice said to me. My eyes opened. Carlilse's face was in front of me, dressed with concern. I blinked.

"What?" I sat up abruptly. My body lay along a maroon couch, my legs stretched to the other arm of it.

"Are you alright?" Carlilse asked me, his eyebrows etched together and his hand reaching for my arm. I was confused.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I gaped at him. "What happened?" There was movement behind me.

"Can vampires get concussions?" Leah's voice belled behind me, and I looked back at her to see how close she was. She was leaning over the back of the couch, her face inches from mine.

"Oh!" I gasped and stood up beside Carlilse. As I stood, I looked to see not just Leah and Carlilse, but Esme, Seth, Jacob, Renesmee and Edward too, all looking at me. I glanced around the room, deeply confused now.

"Where are we? Why's everyone here?" My eyes turned to Leah as she spoke.

"We're at my house. Nessie called Carlilse." Leah explained, taking a few steps towards me.

"You fainted?" Carlilse asked me, seemingly just as confused as I was.

"I did?" I don't recall fainting. But then again, I had woken up.

"Vampires don't faint." I mumbled in confusion as I looked down at my hands. I wasn't human.

"No, but you did!" Seth laughed, despite the mood of the room. "Super powers! Emmett was not kidding!"

"What? She did that?" Edward whipped his head to Seth. Seth nodded, an ear to ear grin on his face.

"It was scary, but she totally saved the day. Way to go, Jace." Seth gave me a fist bump- I gave him a semi hesitant one back.

"Claire was hanging from Sam's cliff- she almost died. Jace saved her using her gift." Edward told Carlilse, answering some unspoken question.

"Incredible. How did you do that?" He turned to me now, his face in wonder.

"I- don't know. Claire was in danger and it just happened? Why are you all here?" I was interrupted.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Leah asked me, at my side now.

"Um.." I couldn't think straight with her standing so close to me. I cleared my throat, hoping to clear my butterflies away.

"I remember..." I thought about it for a second. "Holding Claire. She was clutching to me and Quil took her."

Leah nodded. "And then you collapsed. You basically passed out. Do you remember that?" She asked me, overbearingly serious, her face just a short distance from mine. Her eyebrows etched together with worry and her mouth was in a hard line, looking into my eyes like I was a small child in need of protection.

I shook my head slightly, trying to shake away what I was feeling. "No, I don't remember." I mumbled.

I blinked and stepped back. I wouldn't be able to answer all of their questions if I could feel the warmth emanating off of her. Her proximity was intoxicating.

"Are you alright?" Leah's face cringed- almost in pain- hurt- for half a second and then went back to being concerned. Her arm reached an inch like she was going to reach for me, and as if automatically changing course it fell back at her side.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little disoriented." I smiled at her softly, wanting to reassure her.

"Disoriented?" Carlilse said, doctor mode. "Dizziness, lightheadedness?" His hands held each other in a fist, I felt like I was in his office getting an examination. I nodded.