Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19

Season 2, Episode 27

Denny survived. After the night we had, I didn't think he would. Even though he ended up getting the heart, I didn't think it would be possible to live through all of that. It's a miracle that he lived, not just because he's a patient and we don't want him to die, but because if he had died, we all would have been screwed.

We still are screwed though, but just for breaking the rules. We didn't kill anybody and as we stand in the Chief's office the next morning, I'm grateful for that. He is staring us down, waiting for us to admit to who actually cut the wire. Meredith told us that we should all say we did it, then he won't actually know who did. I don't like that idea, why should I throw myself under the bus?

"I cut the LVAD wire," Izzie says.

"Actually, I cut the LVAD wire," Meredith speaks up and I watch as the Chief starts to shift in his seat, realizing what we're about to do.

"No, I did it," George says. "I'm the one who cut the wire."

After a couple of seconds, Cristina and I don't speak but eventually, I let out a big sigh and look down.

"Yeah...uh, I cut the wire," I mumble, regretting every word.

"Fine. I cut the LVAD wire." Cristina says after George nudges her.

"I didn't do anything. I'm totally innocent." Alex says from the side and I roll my eyes. Of course, he is, he wasn't even here. Now I'm even more pissed at Burke for not taking me to get the heart. If I had gone, I wouldn't be in this mess.

Everyone starts yelling at him, telling him that we made an agreement and I cringe as I watch the Chief watch us in anger. Eventually, the Chief speaks up, yelling at us.

"People! I know who did this, so you might as well come clean. I know." He says leaning forward, putting his elbows on the desk, staring us down.

"With all due respect, Sir. If you know, you wouldn't be asking us." George says very calmly but Izzie tries to speak up. Before she can rat herself out, Meredith interrupts her.

"You have your suspicions, but you don't actually know."

"Not for sure." Cristina finishes before I speak up.

"And, respectfully, you can't do anything to any of us without proof, sir." I regret every word but we agreed on what we were going to say before we entered the room.

"Well, one of you compromised a patient's life. One of you stole an organ. One of you jeopardized the integrity of this hospital and of UNOS!" The Chief yells as he stands up from his desk. "Now you tell me, and you tell me right now!" None of us speak up and he sits. "All right. Fine."

We take that as an indication to leave and look at each other before making our way over to the door of his office, but before we can leave, he speaks up.

"No surgeries." He says as he goes back to his paperwork. We all turn to look at him in confusion.

"Sir?" Cristina asks and he continues.

"No one scrubs in, no one watches from the gallery, no one so much as goes near the OR floor. Until someone confesses, the six of you will share a single patient...Camille Travis. Whatever she wants, the six of you will provide it. Now get the hell out of my sight." He yells at us and with disappointed sighs, we leave the room.

I still can't believe I had anything to do with this. When I went to medical school, I intended on becoming an amazing surgeon, I didn't intend on losing my license in my first year of residency.