Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter 27

Season 4, Episode 5

    The one holiday I actually looked forward to as a kid was Halloween. It was a day that I could be anyone I wanted. For one whole day, I could pretend that everything was fine. I don't really dress up anymore, but the holiday still has a special place in my heart. It's the only holiday I check off in my calendar and make time for. I even went out and bought pumpkins to carve.

    That morning it seemed as though no one in the house could sleep. Izzie, Alex and I all found ourselves in the kitchen. Alex and I carve pumpkins while Izzie bakes. I confronted her a while ago about George but we haven't talked about it since the day I found out, the subject is still sensitive.

    "What are you guys doing up?" Meredith asks as she walks into the kitchen.

    "Couldn't sleep." All of us say at the same time without looking up from what we're doing. She walks into the kitchen and I don't pay her much attention until Izzie speaks up.

    "What is that?" She asks which makes Alex and I turn to look at her. My eyes widen when I realize what she's doing. She has her mother's urn and is dumping her ashes into a ziplock bag.

    "My mother." She says simply, closing the bag.

    "Happy freakin' Halloween," I mutter to myself in disgust as Meredith leaves the kitchen. I continue to carve my pumpkin until Alex leans back with a smirk. He turns his to face me and I look over. It has jagged teeth and unevenly sized eyes.

    "That looks like a five-year-olds handiwork." I tease and he frowns, turning it back around to look at it himself.

    "Well, I like it." He says before leaning forward on the table. "Let's see yours."

    "Smooth like surgery," I say, turning mine to face him. Mine is perfectly proportionate with evil-looking eyes.

    "Eh, I still think mines better." He says and I roll my eyes.

    "You would," I mutter, picking mine up and bringing it to the front porch.

    "What's that supposed to mean?!" He calls out after me and I just laugh, waving him off. I love Halloween.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

    Another great thing about becoming a resident is moving out of the intern locker rooms and into the furnished resident lockerrooms. We have bigger lockers that don't have a gross food smell to them like our old ones.

    Unfortunately, this morning our new locker room is not as pleasant due to the fact that Meredith brought her mother to work... in a bag. All of us stare at her as she shoves the bag into her locker until Cristina walks in.

    "What are we looking at?" She asks us but none of us seem to look away from the odd girl.

    "Apparently, it's bring your dead relatives to work day," I mutter so Meredith can't hear me. Cristina looks at me in confusion before Izzie clarifies.

    "Meredith put her Mom in a baggie and brought her to work." She says. This time, Meredith hears her and turns to face us.

    "I had to get her out of my closet. She was haunting me." She explains which makes me scrunch my nose.

    "Now she's haunting us all," Alex mutters.

    "I'm putting her to rest." Meredith defends herself.

    "How is bringing her to work going to do that?" I ask her before Sydney, the resident who took the place of Bailey before she came back, speaks up.