Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter 22

Season 3, Episode 14

It's been a couple of weeks since George's father died and he's been taking it surprisingly well. After the first night of obvious grief, he seemed to be in a good place. Callie has been helping him through it and they even went away on vacation for the last couple days.

Bailey has been very busy the last week putting together a free clinic that she named after Denny because Izzie finally figured out what to do with her money. She donated eight million dollars to make the clinic happen. Today is the first day the clinic is open and Izzie is very excited. Obviously, I went with her to the opening.

"Okay, welcome to the Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic," Bailey says proudly to us as we look around the place. "Barring any surgical emergencies, you will be working here today."

I look around the place at the empty beds, the only people in the room being Izzie, Alex, Cristina, Bailey and I.

"Working on what?" I ask skeptically.

"Right now, Olivia will be familiarizing you with the protocol for the flu vaccine." She explains and I sigh, this is going to be a boring day. Alex turns and starts fiddling with things from the supply rack.

"Oh, no, no. Don't touch that." Izzie's eyes widen when she sees him. "That was $79." She turns and walks away once he puts it down and I turn to Cristina.

"Oh, my god." I groan at the dullness of the clinic.

"I have to get out of here. Burke has a bloodless pulmonary valve translocation flying in from Denver tomorrow. I should be preparing." She rambles.

"You don't get to scrub in on the valve translocation," Alex speaks up from behind me.

"How do you know?"

"Because I am." He states and she looks up at him shocked.

"He picked you?" She asks in disbelief, but before he can answer, Olivia calls us over.

"You guys ready?" We walk over to her but before she can explain anything, the doors of the clinic burst open. We all turn to see Mark and Webber walk in.

"Dr. Bailey, congratulations on the opening of the clinic," Mark says with a smirk and I look away quickly.

"It is open, isn't it?" Webber asks as he looks around the empty room. "Is Stevens all right?" We all look at Izzie who is looking at the door without blinking.

"She's watching the door, sir." Bailey sighs, going back to her paperwork.

"Okay, then." He says before taking another look around the room.

I can tell Olivia is a little confused at my sudden interest in the vaccines. I'm trying to look away and not catch the attention on Mark, but I freeze when I hear his voice.

"Dr. Karev. May I speak with you." He says and both Alex and I look up. "Not you. Her."

I look at Alex who looks very confused before slowly walking over towards Mark. I make sure no one is watching us before turning to him.

"Yes? Dr. Sloan?"

"I need you for a consult." He states, his professional expression barely masking the smirk hiding under the surface.

"Considering you're the head of plastic surgery, I don't think you need a consult from an intern," I say, trying to keep my voice quiet while still professional.