Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter 26

Season 4, Episode 1-2

    When you're an intern, your life belongs to the hospital. You do whatever your resident says without question and you live and breathe medicine. I always thought that the day I became a second-year resident would be a breath of fresh air but turns out it's another type of stress. Now we're responsible for the clueless little interns running around the hospital.

    Izzie was telling me about how on their first day, Bailey gave them a badass introduction speech which she is planning to give to her interns. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't here the first day and didn't hear Bailey's amazing speech. I have to create a speech all by myself.

    I wasn't sure how the day was going to play out, we had some time off and are now all back to work. I was told that my interns would come find me so I waited impatiently by a nurse's station filling out pre-OPs until I saw four interns shuffling toward me awkwardly.

    "Well? I don't have all day." I snap at them after realizing they're not sure if they should walk up to me. They're quick to move forward and stand to attention. "I'm Dr. Karev and I will be your resident. I have three rules, don't forget them. Number one, answer every page at a run, if you don't, the patient could be dead by the time you get there."

    The moment I start talking, they pull out little notebooks and start writing. I'd been planning my speech all night so I don't stutter or stumble on any word. I'm just getting warmed up. I push myself away from my leaning position at the nurse's station before walking down the hall, expecting them to follow me, which they do.

    "Number two, don't complain. You'll run labs and write orders. If I hear you complain even once, I will not hesitate to put you on scut for the whole week, understand?" I talk without even pausing for them to answer. "Your first shift starts now and lasts thirty-eight hours. I better not see anyone yawn."

    We finally make it to the cart with their pagers. I pick four up and hand them out, watching as they look at them like gold. After a couple of mornings with it waking them up, I'm sure they won't be as fond of them.

    "Number three, if you're unsure about anything concerning immediate patient care, you page me, got it? Don't let your arrogance kill somebody." I explain, glaring at all of them while they look at me in what I can only describe as fear. "And believe me, it's a really short walk to the Chief's office where I'll be happy to explain every detail to him."

    The rest of the morning seemed to go fairly well. I think I got the respect of my interns and maybe if I'm lucky, a little fear. My morning dragged a little long but after ditching my interns at a skills lab, I decided to find the others and see how their day went. I end up finding them in our abandoned hallway sitting on a gurney.

    "Hey." I great when I walk over, sitting down beside Alex. "How'd it go?"

    "I hate them," Cristina mutters without looking away from the wall in front of her.

    "Your interns?" I question, kind of understanding her complaint. Mine do seem kind of clueless.

    "They're idiots." She replies, crossing her arms across her chest.

    "That was hideous." Izzie groans from the other side of Alex. "I feel like a fraud."

    "I rocked it. I think I'm the new Nazi." Alex grins and I roll my eyes.

    "Don't be so cocky. I have the respect of mine." I grin as he turns to face me. "Fear is a good tool."

    "Yeah, there is no way Alex is the new Nazi. You, I could believe." Cristina says, looking at me. "But, it's not going to happen, it'll be me."