Don't Get Cooked

A Few Hours Later

Deepsea Metro

Marie, wearing a surgical mask, stood in an abandoned room within the Metro, which she had basically transformed into a hospital room with some equipment they stole from Tartar Labs.

Marina lay unconscious on a bed, connected to a heart rate monitor, a breathing tube covering her face. She looked extremely pale, especially for someone of darker skin. They were very lucky that Marina happened to get injured in the presence of hospital technology for them to steal.

Unable to do anything for now about her stomach wound, Marie sighed, staring at the heart rate monitor. Her vitals weren't good at all, and she knew that she would have to go out soon to tell everyone the bad news. Although Inklings and Octolings could get splatted from a number of ink related attacks and come out perfectly fine, they were still vulnerable to more fatal attacks just like humans before them, including a massive strike from something like the NILS statue.

Marie sighed, taking off her mask and leaving the room. Everyone was anxiously waiting outside, especially Pearl, and everyone suddenly stood up to face Marie when they heard the door open.

Pearl practically ran up to Marie. "How is she? Is she gonna be fine?"

Marie sighed again and looked down. "Honestly... I don't think so."

Everyone looked down. Bridgett turned around to hide her tears.

"I mean... I'm not a licensed surgeon or anything, but there is still some stuff I can try. But, I'm not gonna lie, she's hanging on a thread. Her organs are off balance. She'll likely pass away within the next few hours."

Cap'n Cuttlefish's eyes were heavy. "How... How could Jessica do this?"

"This wasn't Jessica." Callie sighed. "This is... some kind of puppet Tartar placed into Jessica's body. Metaphorically speaking."

Marie herself had to keep from crying. "I'll do everything I can to keep her alive, but I recommend saying your goodbyes."

"Hold on." Dylan said, suddenly pulling out a syringe with green ink inside of it and showing it to Marie. "This is uh... some of that sanitization juice, or whatever it is. Maybe if we partially sanitize her, she'll live?"

Marie took the syringe. "That's, certainly a possibility, but... I don't understand how it works exactly, so, it could also backfire and make her condition worse. This would have to be a last resort."

"We're already in a last resort." Pearl said angrily. "You said yourself she'll likely pass away soon."

"Well, it's just, yes this ooze has some regenerative properties, but at the same time we know firsthand that it messes with your head. I think it's like a drug where it makes the subject feel euphoria and love to a specific figure, which is how Tartar brainwashes people with it. Also... from what I understand it stops the organs from functioning and keeps the body alive only using it's regenerative properties, and since her body is damaged already, it could just kill her anyway. Like I said, there are still some other stuff I can try." Marie reasoned. "There's still a chance I can save her. A small chance, but a chance."

Pearl's face of sadness and loss slowly turned to anger. Grunting, she pulled out her dualies and charged toward Sheldon.

Sheldon barely noticed that she was charging toward him before he was suddenly walloped in the nose. He flipped backward, landing on his back, his large helmet bouncing off the pavement. "Ow!"

Pearl took one of her Dualies and brought it to Sheldon's face. "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT HER!"

"Pearl!" Marie screamed, running over to grab Pearl and drag her away.