VII.

The next few days of work are dull. I avoid Draco when I have to go with Billingsgate to the Obliviator Headquarters and there's still tension between me and Harry. I try to be polite as possible to Billingsgate during the day and look forward to the end of the day when I get to go home.

After today's session and I once again have to wait outside Fudgel's Office I notice Draco is in his usual spot. I avoid his eyes at all costs, not even daring to glance at him. Unfortunately, I can't completely avoid him because of Billingsgate dragging me along to the Obliviator Headquarters. I wince as I hear Draco's footsteps coming towards me. He's slow, taking his time, knowing that it's torture to me knowing that he's coming to me and I have no choice but to stay.

"How does it feel to be Billingsgate's pet?" He asks with a cruel chuckle. I ignore him as best I can but his words sting a bit. It's not the worst insult but him trying to be cruel to me now is too much to bear.

"You're like a puppy, following him around everywhere. Whenever he calls, you follow," he bends down to whisper in my ear, "It's pathetic."

"Leave me alone, Draco," I say with as much malice as I could conjure. My words to him give me the courage to glare up into his eyes but instead of being met by a face that feels intimidated, he seems to be having fun. Like he's playing a game with me.

"Oh, so the puppy does have a little bark. Just not any bite." he continues. I know he's trying to get a rise out of me and its working. I go for the only defense I have in mind.

"They're right about you. You haven't changed. Go away, I don't want to talk to you anymore." I turn away from him and just as I do Billingsgate walks out of the office. He looks from me to Draco and smiles, looking almost proud.

"Malfoy" he greets him like he has in the past. Billingsgate rests his hand on my lower back and guides me away. When I glance back I see a flash of pain in Draco's silver eyes but it fades just as fast as I notice it. He doesn't care.

Hermione meets me out at the entrance after I leave Billingsgate and waves.

"Hi, Y/N. I know it's been a rough couple of weeks for you but, well, I was thinking that we could go out. Just us girls and relax." she says smiling.

"I'd love to." I say, relieved that the day at work is over and I can spend time with my best friend. We walk arm in arm on our way to Diagon Alley.

Once we're there we walk absentmindedly to browse the shops.

"So Ron has been talking to Harry about what happened and Harry feels really sorry about it, honestly. He regrets blowing up on you." Hermione brings up. I sigh. I had a feeling that this would be something we talked about today.

"I'm not upset about it anymore, truly. Harry was right, though. I shouldn't have talked to Draco at all. He's not good." I reply. Hermione doesn't respond to that so we keep walking. We eventually make it to the front of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.

"Let's go in, I want to say hi to George," I say and we walk in together. The shop has always been magical to me. Unlike most of the serious shops at Diagon Alley, the Weasleys' shop is so fun and lively. Children run around, exploring all the options. Even adults walk in trying to act sophisticated though they, too, are excited about George's latest ideas.

"Y/N!" I hear someone yell my name and suddenly I am picked up off my feet and spun around.

"Hello George." I giggle, excited to see an old friend.

"Ah, it's been a while. I've missed you. Have you got no time to pick up some of our best merchandise?" George teases.

"Unfortunately, the Ministry of Magic is no place for practical jokes." I reply and George rolls his eyes.

"You don't have the trickster spirit that you had back at Hogwarts but that's alright. I'm just happy you stopped by," he then turns to Hermione, "Hello sister-in-law." he says and gives her a bear hug.

"Hello brother-in-law." She replies affectionately.

"Well, what brings you ladies to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes?" George asks. Before I can respond, Hermione begins.

"Y/N has been having a bad time at the Ministry for a while and I just wanted to take her to the happiest place in Diagon Alley," she says and George smiles at the compliment before turning to me looking concerned.

"You know I never liked those Ministry men. Well, it is a man giving you trouble isn't it? Don't answer that. Of course it's a man that's causing trouble. So what shall I do for you? I could whip up a particularly nasty joke and leave it in his office for you." He smiles mischeiviously. I laugh at his excitement.

"That won't be necessary but if it get's any worse I know I can count on you." I say, appreciative of his support. Just then, Ron, Ginny and Harry walk in.

"Hi, Ginny." Hermione says, grabbing her arms and kissing both cheeks.

"Hey Hermione, Hey Y/N." Ginny replies giving us both cheek kisses and a quick hug. Harry stands behind them looking sheepish. While Ginny and Ron go to greet their brother I walk over to Harry.

"Hi." I say.

"Hi." He replies. There's only a moment of awkward silence before he continues again, "I'm really sorry about the other day. I shouldn't have blamed you about what happened because it wasn't your fault."

"It's okay, Harry." I say, happy that we can get back to being friends now. We walk over to the rest of the group and they begin talking about all sorts of things. My mind starts to drift until I see a figure with the unique white-blonde hair and a black suit pass by the shop window. It could only be one person. For some reason, despite what happened earlier today, no voice in my head tells me to ignore him or to turn back. I go out the door, without anyone noticing, and follow him.