IX.

The next day I'm greeted into work by an emergency session. Even Billingsgate didn't have time for me today. Apparently, an incident happened where a fight broke out in a neighborhood. This time a house burst into flames and a whole family died. Neighbors testified they saw cloaked people pointing sticks. There was a lot of damage, most of it really hard to explain. It's a nightmare for the Department and we are in complete chaos.

"The damage goes all along the street but only one house was actually destroyed. The gas explosion excuse can't work in this situation!" Billingsgate says, shooting down another member's idea and flipping through notes while the other committee members do the same.

"Obliviators are already on the scene, sir." one of the committee members, Elflock, tells him. Billingsgate ignores her and is deep in thought.

"So are the Aurors..." I say, looking through papers. Was it a dark wizard incident? I think of Draco being an Obliviator and Harry and Ron as Aurors all in the same place and suddenly become nervous. I hope they're alright.

"That's it. We have no other option at this point. We have to obliviate all the muggles that were present to forget the incident completely." Davies says.

"Billingsgate, what about the family that passed? They won't be remembered?" I ask, confused about why Billingsgate chose such an extreme option.

"No, the muggles will forget they ever lived there. This is the best option for the incident at hand and that is final." Billingsgate finishes and walks out of the room. The committee members all look at each other, confused and unsure if that was the right decision. No one dared talk back to him, though, and eventually, everyone left the session room. Despite the situation, I start to feel a bit sad that I won't be able to see Draco today and I won't have the opportunity to confront him about why he left me alone yesterday.

Since there's nothing else we can do, we are allowed to end the day early and go home. I decide to see Hermione at her lunch and ask her if she knows anything about the situation.

"Ron told me they got called in early today because they fear it's the work of a dark wizard," Hermione says with a sad expression.

"Why would a dark wizard attack only one house of muggles, though?" I ask. Hermione looks around and lowers her voice.

"They had a child. The child was young, before Hogwarts age, but they believe the child was a wizard. A muggleborn wizard." Hermione says sadly.

"A wizard child was killed...? And there's no witness or... no way to find out who did it?" I ask stuttering from the shock. The evil act reminds me of life under Voldemort's reign and its terrifying.

"No, not yet at least. That's why the Aurors are on the scene. This is terrible, Y/N. I didn't think that after everything, after the war, we'd still have to be scared." Hermione says, tears forming in her eyes. I'm left speechless, unsure of what to say. Hermione then looks down at her watch and wipes her tears away quickly.

"Ah, lunch is over. I have to go back now," she gets up and gives me a tight hug, "Be careful on your way home." she says.

"I will. I'll see you tomorrow." I reply and go on my way home.