XXXIV.

After the death of the muggleborn, who we now know to be a member of the International Magical Office of Law, the Ministry has finally realized that maybe the person responsible is also targeting the Ministry itself. However, the Ministry has decided that the best way to tackle the problem was to temporarily relieve all muggleborn members. Meaning, my two weeks "rest" has been extended indeterminately. Hermione was also basically forced out of her office. For our own safety.

Hermione and I are sitting around my table just a few days after we last met. Two aurors, one's that don't care to converse for the duration of their cycle, sit at the couch, and are waiting for Harry and Ron to relieve them. As if right on cue with my thoughts, Harry and Ron apparate into my living room. 

"We can take it from here," Ron says, being friendly. The two aurors just disapparate in response and Hermione giggles.

"Those two don't seem like much fun," Ron turns to Hermione, laughing. 

"They're not," I reply, joining in with the laughter. 

"Y/N, we spoke to Billingsgate at the Ministry and he said he would be stopping by soon. Maybe right about n-," Harry starts when suddenly Billingsgate is standing right next to us. 

"Hello, Y/N, it's been a while," he greets me, smiling. I just stare at him. I can't think of anything to say to him but I hope my resentment is obvious in my face.

"I hope you and Granger are enjoying your new free time together," he adds and Hermione grimaces. Neither of us were happy about being left out of our work, it felt wrong to do nothing. After an awkward silence led by me and Hermione, Harry cuts in.

"Has the Ministry found out anything about the recent incident?" he asks. He turns to give us meaningful glances as if to tell us to pay attention.

"Nothing has been discovered as of late," he pauses to sigh, "It's a shame that it was so close to the Ministry, too. It's supposed to be safe but... well, obviously it's not. That's why the Ministry has decided to keep muggleborns safe by keeping them away from the Ministry for now," he finished, glancing towards me. 

"What about others who might be in danger?" I blurt out, instantly regretting it. I couldn't help but let my mind wander to Draco, who was targetted by anti-purebloods. Even though he hurt me so badly, even though he didn't care for me, the thought of him being hurt made my stomach turn. 

"Who else might be in danger?" Billingsgate asks, raising an eyebrow. I hesitate, fighting against the stab of pain I felt for thinking about Draco. 

"Draco was attacked, almost killed, not too long ago. Why aren't there any protections for him?" I ask. I don't turn to look at Harry, Ron, or Hermione, knowing how pathetic I must look. Billingsgate stares at me for a moment then throws his head back to let out a loud laugh. I clenched my jaw, embarrassed. 

"Draco is fine, Y/N. A unique incident of "anti-purebloods" which has been unheard of is not the Ministry's concern," he says, dismissing my worries, "It's much more concerning that you, a muggleborn, are being targeted by two polar-opposite groups. And every muggleborn, in general, has a similar threat."

"Yes of course," Harry says, changing the subject, "But where was the recent attack exactly? You said it was near the Ministry?" I can tell he wants to know more, for our own investigation, but Billingsgate seems oblivious to Harry's curiosity. 

"It was near a cafe that's frequented by members of the Ministry. It really is a wonder that no one witnessed the murder..." he trailed off, deep in thought. Harry takes Billingsgate's pause as an opportunity to make eye contact with us. That's where we'll look first

"Well, I have business to attend to at the Ministry. It really is a challenge getting everyone to uphold your plan, Y/N," he says, winking, "Goodbye." He disapparates and I let out a sigh of relief. For some odd reason, I walk over to my window, which faces the street, and stare out. Most people at the Ministry knew where I lived. The anti-purebloods knew. Who else could know? 

"I say we visit the cafe when it's the least busy," Hermione suggests. 

"I think that's our best option. It'll make sense, too, since the attack probably happened around those times, too," Ron adds. 

"We'll go tomorrow," Harry says. I pay little attention to their conversation. I'll go wherever they go anyway. I'm still staring at the window when I see it. A flash of familiar white hair. It stood out again the dark color scheme of my neighborhood. It was as if my eyes skipped over it for a second and once they processed what I saw, and turned to look back, it was gone. My mind flashed to Draco, but no. It couldn't have been him. I must be hallucinating, a pathetic symptom of heartbreak. 

"Y/N? Did you get that?" Harry asks, bringing me back to focus, and I shake my head to clear out the thoughts of Draco.

"Yes, the cafe tomorrow. Got it," I say. 

After Harry and Ron have spent their time as my personal aurors, and the next two come to take their place, I go to my room and shut the door. Something was so off about our current situation. Anti-muggleborns, anti-purebloods, no muggleborns in the ministry. It felt like... the beginning of another war. A shiver went down my spine and my thoughts, once again against my will, went to Draco. If more bad things happened, I would be without Draco. I held up my hand and looked at his ring. It was gorgeous, but in a different way now. It felt nostalgic and poisonous. A good memory that turned out to be a lie. I knew it was pathetic to still wear it after what happened, and I knew the others thought I was pathetic for keeping it, too. But I didn't want to take it off then. 

I slowly pulled the ring off my finger and inspected it. How cruel of him to deceive me this way, to leave me something beautiful with no meaning behind it. How silly of him to leave a precious heirloom with someone he never cared for. 

Maybe, wearing it made it harder. A constant memory of him wrapped around my finger.

I walked over to my dresser and pulled open a small drawer. 

Maybe, if I didn't feel the weight of it on me, it would make it easier to be without him.

I placed the ring in the far back corner of the drawer. 

He isn't coming back. I have to let go. 

I closed the drawer.