XXI.

Nothing about McGonagall has changed. She still looks strong and kind and she gives us a wide smile, looking especially happy to see Harry.

"Can I have a moment with my students, please?" she asks and Fudgel and Billingsgate leave the room. Draco turns to leave but McGonagall speaks up.

"You were a student of mine, too, Draco. Stay," she says and Draco looks surprised but doesn't say a word. The door closes with Fudgel and Billingsgate outside.

"My, my. Look at you all. Look how you've grown," she says. She gives each of us a hug.

"It's good to see you again, Professor," Harry says. He doesn't seem to be bothered with Draco's presence here and I take note of it.

"Now I know you all have something to ask of me. You all know my relationship with the Ministry has been... complicated because of events just before the war. I'd much rather talk to you three," she giggles.

"Well, it was actually Y/N's idea so I think you can learn everything about it from her," Harry says and McGonagall's eyes turn to me.

"Is that so? I always knew you'd go on and do great things after Hogwarts. What's your proposition?" she asks and I feel completely confident talking to her.

"As you may know, Muggleborns are in danger again. I believe we can protect them by giving them a safe place to stay, temporarily, here at Hogwarts," I say and McGonagall raises her eyebrows.

"That certainly is a unique idea," she takes a moment to think, "I would be more than happy to provide refuge to the Muggleborns. We can definitely find room for them," she finishes and my mouth falls open in shock. It was that easy?

"I actually have another request, Professor. Muggleborn babies are another concern of ours which means, muggle parents would also need permission to come on school grounds." I say and she seems surprised.

"Muggles at Hogwarts? Hm... there have only been a few exceptions in the past..." she begins and she seems to be deep in thought.

"I know it's a lot to ask but it'll only be temporary," I catch myself looking to Draco for encouragement.

"And there's no other option to keep them safe?" she asks.

"Not any we can think of-" I begin.

"Then the only thing we can do is open our doors to muggles. The faster we can get to the bottom of whoever is threatning their lives, the faster we can go back to normal. No use is letting the muggle parents fend for themselves," she says with determination. I look from Harry to Draco and they seem as surprised as I feel. I thought it'd take a lot more convincing.

"Don't you want to discuss the plan with Billingsgate and Fudgel before making the decision?" I ask, dumbstruck.

"Why would I? You created the idea and I support it fully. I could discuss the process to implement the plan with them but I'm completely on board. You can leave us now and let the gentlemen in," she says. As we start walking to the door, she stops us.

"Actually, I have one more thing to say," she pauses and looks at each of us, "I'm so proud of what you all have become. It's nice to see former students doing great things,"she turns to Draco, "and going down the right path." Draco smiles, just a bit, and I can only imagine what he's feeling right now. I look to Harry and his expression seems soft, not at all jealous of McGonagall's praise of Draco, but perhaps like he's contemplating something. I feel a sense that things are changing for the better and I can't help but smile.

"Thanks, Professor," Harry says for all of us.

"And thank you for supporting my plan. It means a lot to me," I add and she smiles. We open the door and Billingsgate and Fudgel are standing right outside.