|39|

The hangar door in front of us opens up and I force myself to take a deep breath before stepping down the ramp. The soles of my boots thump against the metal ramp as I soak in the familiar terrain. My eyes admire my surroundings until I spot a familiar face that was spotting a wide grin. I clench my jaw at the sight of Greef Karga, but I don't say anything just yet. 

Mando, Cara, and Kuiil follow close behind me on blurrgs. I decided to stay on my feet for a little longer, wanting to look Greef in the eye from the same level. I keep a straight face on while staring him down, my mind racing with words that I wanted to shout at him. I stop a good foot away from him and I just stare into his eyes for an achingly long moment. 

"Sorry for the remote rendezvous, but things have gotten complicated since you guys were last here," he starts, sounding like he was trying to make light of the situation. I could see the light in his eyes, but there was something else hidden deep behind it. 

"You fucking bastard," I breathe out before racing forward and pulling him into a tight hug. My arms wrap around his neck and he instantly hugs me back, holding onto me tight. "I thought you died, you asshole."

"Well, your partner did kind of shoot me right in front of you," he says, laughing a bit while quirking his head to the side. 

"And you were the one threatening me with a blaster, so I think I'm going to have to give him a pass on that one," I say, pulling away from him with a taunting smile. He shakes his head, his smile still intact regardless of how much my words had seemed to bother him. "I'm glad to see that you're alive."

"Me too," he says, sounding a little sincere. He looks past me and spots the two new faces that we had brought along. "It appears that introductions are in order. It seems we've both provided a security detail. I recommend that the shock-trooper stays and guards the ship. These lava fields are lousy with Jawas."

"She's coming with us," I deadpan, shaking my head. 

"But the town is now run by ex-Empire. If a rebel drooper is with us, they'll all get their hackles up," he tries, but I shake my head, letting him know that I wasn't going to take it from him. 

"She's coming," Mando demands, backing me up. Greef's eyes flick between the four of us before he finally backs down. A deep sigh escapes him before he nods his head along. 

"Fine, fine. At least cover your tattoo then. There's no need to flaunt it," he mutters, his eyes flicking over to Cara. He clasps his hands and looks back towards Mando. "Now, where's the little guy that's making all this trouble?"

The crib Kuiil had made on the journey floats forward and zips right past me. I take a small step back, trying to keep my eyes on both the kid and Greef. It slowly opens up and Greef takes a step forward. I rest my hand on my silver hilt, hoping that he wasn't planning on pulling anything rash.

"So, this little bogwing is what all the fuss was about, huh?" he mutters, slowly picking the child up so he was resting just around eye level with him. My body tenses up a bit, but I slowly relax, knowing that he wasn't ruthless or cruel enough to directly shoot a child. Not directly, at least. "What a precious little creature. I can see why you didn't want to harm a hair on his wrinkled head," he continues, setting the child back down. 

I relax and take my hand off of my hilt, knowing that I had to learn to relax if we were really going to make it through this job. I needed to treat it like it was any other bounty job, or else I was going to start losing my mind. I just need to focus and stop worrying so damn much. 

"He really is just the light of our lives," I tease, winking at him. 

Greef snorts and shakes his head, knowing exactly how I felt about kids. I never really liked the idea of having them, but the kid in Greef's arm kind of changed my mind about it. He's not so bad to take care of and he's honestly grown on me. The carriage slowly closes back up and then floats back over to Mando's side, staying close to him.