Chapter 5 - Bad day

Everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells for the past few days. Kevin was being incredibly controlling, more so than usual, and unfortunately, Kirstin had to take the brunt of it as she was the Omega.

"Hey, Kirst." Mitch offered her a smile, but she just plopped down on the couch next to him, exhausted. She hated when people raised their voices or got loud, especially at her, and it had just happened for the second time that week. He didn't offer to hug her though, like Scott did, since he knew she didn't like touches unless she was ready for them. She just laid her head on his shoulder and let out a small sigh.

"What's on?" she asked, looking at the remote in Mitch's hand. He was a movie fan, and was always filling the player up with stuff he'd downloaded, much to Kevin's annoyance. Scott was just holding his breath for the day one of Mitch's stuff overwrites Avi's dragon shows and the Beta loses it. Will Mitch be able to hold his own?

"Uhh not much. I downloaded Frozen 2 and Secret life of pets 2. Your choice." he said.

"I like frozen." she replied, so he went to boot that up but she shook her head. "Second one sucked." Mitch chuckled and put on Pets 2 instead.

"Have you finished your chores?" he asked. She shook her head, pulling out the blanket. "Okay but in half an hour I'm pausing the movie so you can do some more chores." he said. She didn't reply, too busy cuddling the blanket.

By now, Mitch and Scott had both realized she did better when they let her have breaks and spread her chores out more. She got too overwhelmed with everything all at one time. They knew Kevin wouldn't like it, and decided that for once, he didn't need to be told unless he asked. They'd somehow put together a bit of a system, with them giving her the little things Kevin refused to, and Avi mostly just avoiding her. The last thing the beta wanted to do was snap at the poor girl.

"What's for tea?" Mitch asked her. She kept pouting at the food they'd made, she seemed to be really picky but couldn't explain why, so Kevin has decided she would cook for a week to try and teach her to eat what she is given.

She frowned slightly, realizing she'd need to go finish that now. She really wanted to keep watching the movie, but didn't like it when the Alpha got mad at her. When he was mad at Kirstin, it was more acceptable to be harsher on her since she was an Omega be was in charge of. He couldn't act the same to a smart beta like Avi or Scott.

"Is Alpha always grumpy?" she asked Mitch, liking how he was much friendlier. He didn't seem like an Alpha to her and that was why he was here, but she liked that. He was like a friend from Omega school, but cuter.

"I don't know Kirst. I've only been here a little longer than you. I think once things start going well then he'll relax. I think he wanted a strong pack and we aren't classed as strong." Mitch said, but backtracked when he saw her frown. "I mean, I'm an Alpha and I'm not strong, look at these arms. Sticks." he said, earning a giggle from her.

"I think you're strong." she said.

She reluctantly stood, but her mood got a bit better when Mitch promised to pause the movie until she was done. She went into the kitchen, trying to figure out what to make. She did like getting to cook, as it meant she got to make things she liked.

Pasta was off the menu as she didn't like the texture of it. Rice was tolerable though so she decided to use that as a base. She remembered a paella her Mum used to make and decided to try and replicate that despite having never seen the recipe before.

It didn't go very well on the first try, having burnt it. Still, she didn't want to have to use something she'd hate eating, since the Alpha would make her anyways, so she tried again. It wasn't perfect, but it was at least edible to her. After setting up, she took a deep breath. Now she had to tell Alpha Kevin it was done, and that was always a scary job.