Ch. 1 Niall

Mullingar Ireland:

Niall Watched as the Jocks walked down the hall, crouched behind a set of rubbish bins away from eagle like eyes searching the halls for him. Murmuring to himself "Moonpies and Jelly Babies" over and over again trying to calm his nerves. No one knows why he says those weird words when he's scared, nervous or anxious he just does. With a goofy grin on his face from successfully calming his nerves he stood from his hiding place, pressing his back to the wall, he skirted round corners searching franticly for an exit. Finding one, he shot down the hall fast, Nike sneakers squeaking as he ran. Hand outstretched ready to press the bar down, able to taste freedom, he was yanked back with a loud Yelp.

"Well, well, well, boys look what we have here. The Freak!" The jock spat in Nialls' face holding him by his shirt collar. Niall began to tremble in the older boys grip knowing what was coming. Ever since he was 16 and accidently flooded the gym he has been labeled a Freak. It wasn't Nialls' fault really, some boys were teasing him and he got mad lost control of his emotions and soon his eyes glowed with a desire greater then he had ever felt before, when he had calmed down everyone was running screaming away from him and the waves that had cascaded out of his body. That's how Niall found out he was an Elemental or someone who can control one of the 5 elements.

Sighing to himself he once again hung his head in shame hoping it would end quickly at least. He vowed that day 2 years ago to never use his powers again for fear of harming someone. So just like almost everyday of the week Niall took his beating the bruises, broken bones and cuts healing almost immediately, which only made the Jocks more angry every time which fueled them to hit harder. It hurt like hell so Niall slowly pulled his knees to his chest buried his face in them and cried till the boys where to tired to continue.

After what seemed like hours Niall pried his head from his knees, tears running freely down his eyes, looking around quickly before running from the school he called prison. All he ever wanted was to be normal, to fit in, to have friends. However it seems fate was being cruel. It wasn't rare to have "gifts" now a days, with the onset of Technology, Radiation caused a lot of mutations in the human genome allowing long dormant traits to surface among the population who may or may not have been decedents of the Gods of old. So much was swirling through his mind Niall never noticed the effect his emotions where having on the world around him. The rivers, streams and lakes were churning violently, the sky's above rumbling, winds howling causing the trees to bend to its will.

Niall walked home never once looking back to the destruction he was causing. Emotions on over haul, he walked into his house, slammed the door yelling for his mum.

"In the kitchen hun." she called out sweetly. Niall walked to his mum, jumped up on the counter grabbed a bottle of water and took a sip. The cool liquid sliding down his throat causing an instant relaxation to swirl through his body. Letting out a sigh he hung his head as silent tears slide down once again.

Sensing something was wrong Maura turned to her son gasping at the state of his condition. "Muh baby, what is wrong?" she cooed grabbing his chin in her hands using the pads of her thumbs to brush the tears away. "My Angel what have they done to you today." It was a statement not a question, after two years of constant harassment Maura was at her whit's end on how to fix this. She knew they couldn't afford to move however she couldn't allow this to continue. Looking at her son again, she noticed his usual crystal blue eyes are now a stormy grey, his creamy white skin was a hue too grey as well, as if the life was draining from him right in front of her eyes.

She was knocked out of her thoughts by a shrill howling of wind and banging of branches on the house from the trees outside. Walking to the window she was horrified to see the state of things. Bringing her hand to her mouth she turned her head towards her son who looked on the brink of a break down, just like the weather outside, tears slide down her face again as she continued to try to figure out how to help her son. Knowing the town was going to be furious and blame Niall for this, not themselves because she knew this town was creating a monster one beating at a time.

Once again a loud bang sounded through the house, only this time it was someone knocking at the front door. Stepping through the kitchen squeezing Nialls knee to reassure him that everything was going to be okay, she wiped the tearsfrom her eyes using her apron, steeled herself and opened the door only to have it ripped from her hands and slammed against the wall from the power of the winds outside.

"Can I help you?" She quizzed the 4 attractive young men at her down. The Brunette with brown puppy dog eyes and the Undercut hairstyle spoke first.

"We have come to help your son." He replied with strong English accent rolling smooth across her ears and sincerity written across his face.

"What would you know of my son!" Maura fired back, arms coming to cross her chest in a defiant gesture.

"We represent The Academy." The one with black hair styled expertly into a quaff spoke with a more common English accent. Hazel eyes meeting hers with a look saying I understand what's going on with him and I only wish to help.

"The who?" She asked while racking her brain.

"The Academy. It's a place where those with 'Gifts' stronger then the norm can learn to control them in a safe and sane environment." The same boy replied. He handed her an envelope.

Sighing, Maura gestured for them to come in. "Please have a seat, I'll grab drinks and Niall." Setting the packet on the coffee table she left the room and the new boys to retrieve what she said.

"Niall sweetie there are some rather handsome young men in the living room here to see you." Niall visibly tensed thinking it was more guys from the town here to harass him. " No sweetie these are good guys here to help you." She stated.

Niall only relaxed a little, "no one helps me mum, you know that." He stated flatly.

"Just go in there and meet them." She pushed him down off the counter and shooed him off into the sitting room.

He rounded the corner and stopped dead in his tracks. "You!" He shouted Looking to the Brunette with the puppy dog eyes.

Thank you to anyone who reads my story's. I just want to explain that all my writings online are unedited as well as condenced since I do publish. Please feel free to comment and help me in any way you can.