- Chapter Nine -

"Y/n." Changbin said darkly. "Where is Nishith, and why are you in her car?"

You smiled sheepishly. "She's safe, that's what matters, I'm sure she'll make her way back to you."

"What are you doing here?" Changbin huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. It was at this moment that Chan stepped out of the car and Changbin groaned. "And why have you got a human with you!"

"Listen, it's a long story, can we just go inside?" You didn't like the feeling of being out in the open, and you were worried Changbin's neighbours were going to start getting particularly nosy.

Changbin looked at you pointedly for a few seconds before uncrossing his arms. "Fine." He turned around and went back inside his house, letting you and Chan make your own way inside. You quickly shoved yourself through the front door before it could close on your face, holding it open for Chan to come after you.

Changbin's house never looked quite the same every time you were here, but it always had the same sort of clustered energy. No matter the day, season or time, Changbin's house always seemed to be packed tight with a variety of strange things, each with an equally long and confusing back story. It was easy to be curious, but Changbin was often shut mouth about everything. Changbin himself was lovely once you got to know him well, but he was involved in some pretty sketchy business.

If you wanted to deal or trade in things one wouldn't particularly call 'legal', then Changbin was the guy to go to. It was bad enough that you knew who he was, it was even worse that you interacted with him. Your position in the Jurisdictive Quarters meant you were supposed to report him to the authorities as soon as you learnt of what he did. That was boring, and Changbin had cool stuff. There had even been a few times that he had helped you in couple dodgy deals yourself.

The first couple times you'd come to him needing something to be done, he had no idea who you were. It was a strictly anonymous kind of business, so he asked no questions other than what needed to be done. It was only ever small things, like new weapons or getting contact information that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to get.

Then one day you had shown up at his doorstep, about to pose another request when he had greeted you with very harsh hostility. He had found out who you were, and thought you were going to report him. You smacked him on the head and told him that if you were to report him, you'd be in just as much trouble for getting involved in the first place. Then things were fine.

Until, of course, you showed up in the car of one of his pack members. And the main reason you were here. Besides his dodgy business, Changbin was the pack leader of the very werewolves who were currently giving you and Chan quite a hard time. Every werewolf in the area answered to Changbin, which meant he was the only able to call them off your back.

"So what are you here for today?" Changbin said. You plopped yourself down on the couch, and after a little consideration, Chan sat down next to you.

"You know Tanner Mammon?" You scratched the back of your neck.

"Oh yeah, he's one of my regulars. Cocky prick, but good business." Changbin had moved to the kitchen, flicking on the kettle.

"Um, yeah, well he might be a little bit dead now." You said. Changbin glared at you through squinted eyes.

"How did that happen?" His tone suggested he was already pretty aware of what you were going to say.

"It may be my fault."

"Did you kill Tanner?"

"Yes." You smiled painfully. Changbin just sighed and started pouring tea into cups for each of you. He brought them over and settled them on the coffee table.