- Chapter Eleven -

Chan wrapped his fingers around the gun as if it was going to burn him. His eyes were shaky as he peered down at the weapon in his hands, outwardly discomforted by the menacing qualities it possessed. He had never held a gun before, that much you could tell.

The two of you were standing in your back garden, more specifically the portion of it that had been dedicated to you and your sibling's training when you were growing up. You could still remember the long days out here, heatwave or snowstorm, Ricardo standing behind you, a guiding hand pointing you in the right direction. It was strange being back here, even stranger being the teacher.

It had been a while since you'd slept in your own room, and you had imagined it would be a fitful night, but the past few days must have taken their toll on you, as you fell asleep almost instantly. You shook out the sheets in Mikey's room for Chan to sleep in, and was tempted to nick more of Mikey's clothes but eventually decided against it. You both awoke the next morning and had breakfast, which consisted of the leftover muesli bars in your bags due to the lack of food in the house. You didn't give him much more time to get prepared before you dragged him outside.

"Alright, the targets are a bit faded, but they're straight ahead." You stood next to Chan, gesturing to where a few vaguely human shaped pieces of wood were standing, about a hundred metres in front of you.

"I still don't really understand the point of this, I'm never going to be able to actually shoot someone." Chan whined again. He had been reluctant to even go near the gun when you held it out to him, he was even more resistant to actually shoot it.

"I'm not asking you to shoot anyone. I just think it's better that you at least have an idea of how to use a gun, so if something happens, you aren't helpless." You explained, desperate to just get him to learn how to use it at the very least.

He opened and closed his mouth a couple times, trying to come up with a plausible retort, but he couldn't seem to find one so he shut his mouth and gripped the gun with both hands. "So do I just like press the trigger then?" Chan asked, pointing the gun ahead of him.

"Sort of. You have to undo the safety first, that's the little thing at the top." You said, and Chan flipped it off, face going a little paler. "Okay, you're all good to go. Take a deep breath, on the out breath, squeeze the trigger, only lightly. Be prepared for the kickback as well."

Chan nodded, but didn't move for a few moments. He took a few deep breaths, and then scrunched his eyes shut and pulled the trigger. The gun went off with a bang, making Chan yelp and nearly drop it. You broke out into a strong applause and whooped in delight.

"There you go! You did it, you shot the gun. Although next time, maybe keeping your eyes open would be a good idea." You advised, and he looked a little sheepish.

"I guess it wasn't quite so bad." Chan admitted looking down at the gun in his hands in a new light. The initial first shot appeared to be the hardest, as after that, Chan was suddenly all eager to try again, this time managing to even keep his eyes open. When he was used to the feeling of the gun going off, you switched focus to making sure he was actually aiming the gun instead of shooting randomly.

Seeing as it was his first time, he wasn't spectacular, but he did manage to hit the targets a few times, causing him to abruptly burst out into spectacular cheer every time he did. Seeing him do his happy dance every time he hit a target made your insides burn, and you wished you could just stay here the entire day and watch him jump around like an excited child.

Alas, you were on a tight schedule, and you couldn't waste your time messing around in your backyard. "Okay, I'm also giving you an axe." You said, picking up the axe from the ground where you had discarded it to focus on getting Chan acquainted with the gun. "It's a training axe so it's lightweight and won't tire you out too quick. It's pretty simple. You aim and then hack."