- Chapter Seventeen -

The sight of the gas station was like seeing a pool of water in a very long, vast, expansive desert. Both you and Chan's stomach were rumbling and growling like there was no tomorrow. You'd run out of the food that you'd had stocked up in the car, and the next scrap of civilisation was hours away. Not to mention both of you had been beaten pretty hard, and you would have killed for some pain-killers.

Just as the sun disappeared behind the horizon, you reached a small town, and pulled in at the first gas station you came across. You hopped out of the car and filled her up first, smirking at her appreciative hum when she was full. Then you and Chan both wobbled inside the store. You browsed the shelves, mindlessly picking out anything that looked even remotely tasty.

You picked out a few bandages and a few packets of strong pain-killers. Your speed healing had taken care of most of your shallow cuts and bruises, but it wasn't going to do a whole lot for your broken rib or your crushed hand. You would likely have to see someone professional for those, but for now you wanted to stay as far away from anyone magical for as long as you could.

When your arms were near bursting, you and Chan meandered over to the front desk, spilling all your stuff onto the counter. The young guy working there came out from the back, face perking up in surprise when he saw the pair of you.

"Woah, you guys cosplayer's or something?" His eyes scanned the both of you head to toe, taking in the sword on your back and the guns decorating your thighs and Chan's hip. You probably should have left the sword in the car, but you were a little partial to parting with it after it was taken from you by Paimon.

You looked at the guy working, bleach blonde hair falling in his eyes, and a nametag with the name 'FELIX' stamped on it. "Pump five and all this please." You said, ignoring his question.

He nodded shyly, quickly scanning your items. Any awe he possessed before was wiped away with confusion and mild terror. "Um, 75.98." He said when he had finished putting through all your things.

"Thanks." You mumbled, sweeping all your things into your arms. "Also, if anyone asks, we weren't here." You whispered to him just when you were about to leave.

You weren't entirely serious, if people wanted to find you, they'd find you, regardless of whether or not the guy working at the gas station said anything. You mostly did it just to see the look of pure fear and horror that passed over the guys face. You had to hold in your giggles as you walked out of the store, not wanting to break character.

You and Chan dumped all your stuff in the backseat and hopped into the car. You sucked down a couple pain-killers before peeling out of the gas station.

"We can head to Mikey's house from here." You said. Your hand was still throbbing and it was making it a little difficult to drive, so Chan insisted he hop behind the wheel. "It shouldn't be more than an hour away."

Chan nodded, mouth occupied as he swallowed down a muesli bar at an impressive rate. Both of you settled into a comfortable silence as Chan let the pull of the Highway guide him along the roads. Your eyes grew hazy as you stared out at the stars. They were beautiful all the way out here, unbothered by light pollution they stretched across the sky side to side. You could feel your body growing heavy with exhaustion but you couldn't bring yourself to tear your eyes away from the sky.

You groaned when thoughts of your parents resurfaced in your mind. You didn't know if Mammon had decided to tell them about your new employment status or not. You weren't sure if you wanted him to tell them or not. On one hand, he could do the hardest part for you, meaning you wouldn't have to make the confession yourself. On the other hand, you would like to wait as long as you can before they find that out. Hopefully you could just put off seeing them again for a long time.