"You don't look a day over twenty one" (part one)

I let my anger carry down the pathway that led to my car. I was completely and utterly pissed. All I wanted was to meet up with who I assumed to be my boyfriend and exchange gift ideas so I knew what to buy him this weekend. Instead, I walked in on his boytoy giving him a blowjob.

                What a fucking prick.

                There was nothing I knew of that could take away this anger and hurt I felt. I drive around the small cozy town I’d known my whole life. Dale had always been the very thing that kept me here. When I turned eighteen, I was dead set on leaving. Somehow he had convinced me to stay and that things would get better.

                Things had gotten better. I had managed to get the courage to come out to my family. At first, they had given me hell. Dale was, of course, there to help me get through it. I had moved in with him soon after that. We redecorated the place and made it our own. A few months into living together, I gave him my virginity. It was done in a perfect, romantic way.

                On my twentieth birthday, I got a call from my old house phone. I was hesitant to answer but Dale forced to ma up, which I did. My parents and siblings had been had been on the other end. They apologized for disclaiming me, and asked me to celebrate my birthday with them at their house the following weekend. Of course, I said yes.

Dale didn’t come with me though, said it was something I should do on my own. I agreed because I was beginning to depend on him too much. I was always an independent person.

But even independent people need someone to lean on. And Dale had always been mine. He was loving in a big brother type of way and comforting in the lover type of way. It was solely the reason I clung to him so much.

Agreeing to makeup with my family was one of the smartest things I’ve ever done. They had stood behind me in every decision I’ve made since then. I could always cry to my mother and seek advice from my father. What more could I ask for in parents?

Dale’s parents weren’t exactly the same. They had been raging alcoholics his entire life. They were never there to support their only child as he grew up and did amazing things. During middle school, Dale was recognized for his amazing athletic skills and high testing academic grades. This, of course, continued in high school. He still partied, had a steady job, and managed to play sports and study hard enough to score perfectly on the SAT’s.

I clear my train of thought as I continue speeding down the highway. I know I’m way over the speed limit, putting myself in danger but damn did it feel good doing something potently deadly and reckless.  I ease my foot off the gas when I nearly lose control of the wheel. I did not have a death wish tonight. I take the nearest exit before cruising down the street to a bar I visited when in a desperate need of a break.

I park the car quickly before walking in. It’s pretty crowded tonight, seeing as it is a Friday night. I sit on a stool directly by the bar. I order myself a drink as I place my head on the counter. I had a banging headache from all my overthinking. I thank the bartender for my drink before handing him some cash. I slowly sip from the short black straw. I let my thoughts consume me once again.

                “Um, I’m sorry but would you happen to work here?” I ask timidly.

                The worker turns slowly, catching all of my attention as his light hazel eyes capture mine. A small smile takes over his face. I realize I’m staring and quickly drop my gaze. I stare at his blue beat up converse instead.