𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝐡𝐨𝐠𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬

"Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville's lost one," Hermione spoke to the students by the doorway of their compartment.

You duck under her arms and entered. "His name's Trevor," you added.

The compartment was occupied by two boys, one of them with flaming red hair and the other with messy, dark locks and was sporting round glasses. Their seats were filled with empty wrappers and such, the scent of chocolate and caramel wafting in the air.

There was a fairly large rat on the lap of the redhead's, surprising you at first. Your neighbors' daughter owned small and white mice, but his was the type of rat that would raid the pantry of your house and sometimes run across the yard. They were considered as pests in your neighborhood. You hope he bathes it enough to keep it sanitary.

Hermione notices the wand in the redhead's hand, piquing her interest. It gains your attention as well.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see, then," she said.

"Another spell?" You smile. "I bet it will be amazing!"

"If he can do it."

You look at Hermione. "Of course he can." You then turn your head to face him. "Good luck!"

The redhead's cheeks were flushed with pink as he glances between you and Hermione. He makes sure to clear his throat before waving his wand.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow," he said, "turn this stupid fat rat yellow!"

He points his wand at the rat, emitting some sort of spark at the tip, but nothing happens. You did chuckle at his words, making the pinkness in his face turn red.

Hermione, on the other hand, was not impressed. "Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it?" She said.

"I'm sure he just needs more practice," you reason, looking at the redhead. He gives you an awkward half smile.

You snigger when both him and the boy with glasses exchange looks as Hermione continued talking.

"Of course, I've only tried a few simple ones myself...but they've all worked for me." She drags you to sit with her opposite of the boys and flourishes her wand from her robes. The two of you changed a while earlier when she had insisted.

Hermione was in front of the boy with glasses. "For example," she said, pointing the tip of her wand at the bridge of his glasses. "Oculus Reparo."

The boy was startled as the tape that held his glasses together disappears and it was promptly fixed.

You bump your shoulders with Hermione's, grinning like a proud parent. "That's a cool spell, Hermione. And pretty useful, too."

Hermione smiles back. "I can teach you when we're at school, if you want?"

"That'd be great!"

The boy takes off his glasses and inspects it.

"That's better, isn't it?" Hermione questions. Then, her expression shifts as she realizes something. "Holy cricket, you're Harry Potter!"

Harry Potter? You held back your questions as Hermione introduces herself. You were curious, but you feel like this wasn't the right time to ask. You hardly knew him.

"I'm (Y/n) (L/n)." You offer Harry a small smile.

Hermione turns to the redhead, brows furrowing. "And you are...?"

The redhead continues to munch on some candy. "I'm Ron Weasley," he said with a mouthful of chocolate.

You snort at Hermione's displeased expression as she inspects Ron. "Pleasure," she responded curtly. Then, she turns back to Harry. "You two better change into robes. I expect we'll be arriving soon. Let's go, (Y/n)."