Time Cut Short

"Marilyn," Darry said as he walked back into the dining room. "That was Elizabeth. She wants you to come home."

    My stomach twisted. Elizabeth wouldn't have made me come home unless it was really important. "Did she say why?" I asked. He shook his head. "Oh, okay. Well, um thank you for breakfast."

    I got up and started to pick up my plate. Soda stopped me, "We've got it. Go home. Call me later okay?" 

    I nodded and gave him a kiss before waving goodbye to everyone. I was worried all the way home, my brain thinking the worst. I could only think that either Ada or my brother was hurt.

    When I pulled in, my brother's truck was parked out front. I rushed inside the house to see Elizabeth and Charlie sitting at the dining room table. I looked around for Ada and quickly heard her playing with dolls in her room. I was relieved no one seemed hurt but still worried. 

    "What's going on?" I asked, sitting down next to Charlie.

    "Well uh," Charlie started. "They're sending our troop to Hawaii tomorrow. Vietnam two days after."

    "What? I thought you had another two weeks before you left."

    "I did too but last night, they said we're going tomorrow. I'm really sorry Marilyn," Charlie apologized, putting his hand on my shoulder. 

    "It's okay," I said, hugging him. "It's not your fault. When do you have to go back?"

    "In about an hour."

    "Well," Elizabeth started. "I say we go get something to eat one last time until you come back. How about that?"

    "That sounds amazing," Charlie replied. I could tell he was really upset about having to leave early. We all were. 

    We went down to the Dingo and used up all of our time we had left with Charlie. It hurt saying goodbye to him again. Not knowing when he would be back. Not knowing if he'd be back. I know it wasn't right to think about but I couldn't help it.

    I called Sodapop that night to fill him in on what happened. "I'm so sorry Marilyn," he said after I told him. 

    "Me too, Soda."

    "Can I do anything?" He asked.

    "No. It's just a waiting game. A long, long waiting game."

    "I don't want you worrying about him too much. It'll tear you up."

    "I'll be okay. I'll find things to take my mind off of it. You can help me do that." I smirked even though he couldn't see it. 

    "Oh yeah? Like we did yesterday?"

    I thought back to our makeout session on his bed. "Maybe without Ponyboy around," I laughed. 

    "Oh definitely."

    Ada walked into the room holding up her dolls. I shook my head but she gave me her award-winning pouty face. "Look I have to go. My first game is on Tuesday. Will I see you there?"

    "You won't be able to miss me," he replied. I could just picture the grin he had on his face. "I love you."

    "I love you too, Sodapop."

    He hung up and I sat up. Ada had a big smile as she grabbed my hand and dragged me into her room.

    Monday and Tuesday were spent mostly in the gym, preparing for our first volleyball game. Our team was so excited but a little nervous. We were playing Westley High, one of the best teams in the state. Our team was good but from what I've heard, they were far better.