Closing Doors

Back at school, I had an odd feeling walking through those hallways knowing it was be the last week of my high school career. I had only been at this school for less than a year but it felt more like home than Destin ever did. I had to admit, I was really going to miss it. Two-Bit coming up to my locker every hour. Being locker buddies with Steve. English class with Ponyboy. Cherry dragging me to all of her extra-curriculars. I hoped that I'd still have those people for a long time but the great door of high school was finally coming to a close.

    My official last day fell on that Friday. I admit I shed a few tears but I won't admit that to anyone else. I was glad to have Steve by my side during this whole graduation even though he was personally very happy about getting out of that "hell house".

    "What am I going to do if I can't bug you two everyday?" Two-Bit sighed as he leaned against the locker next to mine.

    "Hopefully go to class and graduate next year," I suggested, shooting him a small smirk.

    "Keep dreaming Marilyn," Steve chuckled.

    "Hey, I've got the best tutor around," Two said, squeezing my shoulder. "I'm passing. I'll be walking across that stage and making my momma proud in no time."

    "Don't tell Mrs. Matthews to hold her breath," Steve shot back.

    "Why don't you give it a try," Two-Bit smiled. I rolled my eyes at the both of them.

    "Two-Bit will pass his classes, officially become a senior, and someday walk across that stage. Whether he does that with Johnny or Ponyboy or even his baby sister, he'll get there."

    "Don't you dare talk about my baby sister walking across any stage," Two-Bit huffed, unable to accept the fact that his "little Keith" is going to grow up one of these days.

    "Yeah yeah," I shooed him off.

    "Hey I think we should have one last hoorah after you two graduate. Get everyone together one last time before we separate," Two suggested.

    "Two-Bit where would I possibly be going?" Steve questioned sarcastically.

    "You I may not have to worry about," Two went on. "But Marilyn here is going off to college. Soon enough she'll find doctor to replace her boy-toy named after a drink. Then she'll get a good job, elope to one of those fancy places like New York or San Fran, and totally forget us."

    "I could never forget a character like you Keith."

    He sort of blushed but went on to talk about how we needed to take a trip or throw a big party. Steve tried to convince me that it was just Two-Bit trying to find a way to party but I liked the idea. It sounded fun. The thought of becoming an official adult and going off to college was getting to me. It would be nice to put it all away for a second.

    The following Sunday was the big day. Graduation day. I heard Elizabeth on the phone the night before trying to get ahold of my mom. I knew Elizabeth wanted her to be there and trust me, so did I. I tried to focus on the fact that Elizabeth and Charlie were there. That's all I needed.

    Elizabeth was a mess all morning, going on and on about how I was growing up too fast. There's something about graduation that makes you and everyone around you think you're going away into the world of adulthood and never coming back. It's heavy stuff. Fortunately for us both, I still had another few months before I turned the big 1 8.

    Steve and I sat next to each other in the middle of the gym since our names fell right next to each other in the alphabet. I could hear him starting to snore on my shoulder as our valedictorian gave his speech. Even though I didn't blame Steve for his boredom, I shook him awake.

    "Man why does this kid have to tell us what great things we're going to do? I don't think I've said one word to him since 6th grade," Steve groaned.

    "Suck it up Steve. You're almost out of here," I laughed.

    Soon enough, we were standing up, headed to the stage. Who would have thought I'd be doing this in Oklahoma. Walking with Steve instead of Cindy. It's crazy how things can change so quickly. How a sheet of paper can change so much.

    Our section of the bleechers cheered as Steve danced across the stage, taking his diploma, turning to his fellow classmates, and flipping them off. Classic. I wouldn't have expected anything less.

    Then it was my turn. Our section cheered even louder with Charlie's help. I walked to the principal, grabbed my diploma, and walked off. That was it. Graduation is so exciting when you think of it but that was it. I didn't feel any different but now I had a piece of paper in my hand and less homework. Maybe the feeling would hit later.

    I sat back down next to Steve and he frowned at me. "What?" I asked.

    "Why did they cheer louder for you?" He asked.

    I put my arm around his shoulders. "I'm their favorite. It's okay."

    He huffed and I looked up at our crowd. Elizabeth gave me a thumbs up as she patted her eyes with a tissue. Sodapop blew me a kiss so I gave him a wink. He seemed proud.

    We all met outside when the ceremony was done. We had our party at the Curtis house. All of our friends came over and we had a blast. Just like that I was a high school graduate, ready to take on the question of, what was next?