Hard Times

It was nearly two hours later when Elizabeth called. I didn't know much about medical stuff but a nearly three hour long surgery didn't sit well with me. I got in my car and drove down to the hospital. I went to the front desk and asked where Charlie was. While I was talking, I heard Elizabeth call my name. I hurried over to her. 

    "Where is he?" I asked. 

    "Upstairs. Room 214," she said. 

    "Okay thanks," I turned, starting to walk away. Elizabeth grabbed my arm and gently pulled me back. 

    "Before you go in there, I want you to know a few things," she explained. I nodded. "He's in bad shape. He's in a coma so his body can heal. He's bruised up, has severe burns, and many broken bones. He is expected to be okay but I want you to be prepared, he may not look like the same Charlie. Just talk to him. He can hear you. Don't try to wake him up. He needs the rest."

    I took a deep breath, trying to comprehend everything. I tried to just stay thankful that he was alive and not focus on all the other bad news. Elizabeth put her hand on my shoulder. 

    "Are you okay?" She asked. 

    "I'm okay. I'm just going to go see him now," I replied. 

    I walked slowly toward the stairs. I had been so excited to see him but now, I was scared. I was scared to see him hurt. I didn't want to see him lying in a coma.

    I walked up to his room but I stopped. I needed to collect all my thoughts and calm down before I entered. I peered around the corner and saw a glimpse of him before I walked back out into the hallway. He didn't look like Charlie. He had burns on his arms and chest. I eventually re-entered the room. There was a chair next to the bed that I sat down in. I wasn't sure what to do so I just took his hand and started to talk. 

    "Hey bub. It's me. Elizabeth said you could hear me so I hope you can. You don't know how badly I want to tell you to wake up. I do want you to but you've got to stay in there a little longer. You have to let your body heal. I don't know what you're seeing in there but I want you to know it's okay. You're going to be fine. Just don't leave me okay? We deserve more time with each other."

    Tears started to brim my eyes so I stopped talking. The hospital was a horrible place to cry. It's already such a gloomy place. I didn't want to make it any worse. 

    I looked up at Charlie and just watched him. Him being there reminded me too much of dad. Of course, dad wasn't all bandaged and bruised but it was the smaller things. The beeping of the machines, the breathing tube. All the memories started to flood back and I had to get out of there. I ran out into the hallway and bumped into Elizabeth. 

    "Woah, honey are you okay?"

    I just shook my head. She hugged me and kept telling me that he was going to be okay. I had hopes that he was but even though she warned me, seeing him like that was scary. 

    "Come on, let's go home."

    "I don't want to just leave him here alone," I replied. 

    "He won't be alone. I promise. A few of his friends are supposed to be coming later today. You can come back tomorrow," Elizabeth explained. 

    I gave in and we went home. Even though it was hard for me to see him, it was even harder to leave him alone. Would he know he was alone or does he not know anything that is happening on the outside? Part of me hoped he didn't. 

    I drove home. When I got there, I called Soda to give him an update. After that, I wasn't feeling up to much. I hung around the house until I had to work. I didn't sleep much again that night. All I wanted to do was get back to the hospital and make sure Charlie was okay.