The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I had just finished getting dressed when I heard Sodapop knock on the door. I quickly put on some shoes and ran to the living room. Ada had answered the door and was talking to Soda. 

    "Were you just going to let him freeze out there?" I teased as I walked by her. I gave Soda a hug. 

    "You two be careful. It's supposed to snow quite heavily tonight," Elizabeth warned. 

    "We will! See you later!" I waved goodbye and shut the door. Sodapop wrapped his arm around me as we walked to Darry's truck. "So do I get somewhat of a hint?"

    "Oh I guess," Soda replied as he opened my door. He closed it and got into the driver's seat. "We're going to go to one of my favorite places, then we'll go drive around and look at Christmas lights. The rest of the night is a secret."

    "That sounds wonderful Sodapop."

    "Okay, great," he smiled and started the truck.

    We drove out into the country. Something was different about tonight. The way the snow was falling slowly. The soft music from the radio. Soda had a grin on his face the whole time, singing along. It felt like I was falling more in love with him every second. He was so perfect.

    We pulled into a spot off the road by a tree. Soda got out and laid down a few blankets in the bed of the truck.

    "Come on," Sodapop said, taking my hand and leading me out of the truck. We climbed into the bed and laid down next to each other. "Look," he said, pointing to the sky.

    The stars were bright tonight. There were very little clouds in the sky. It was beautiful.

    "What is this place?" I asked. 

    "This is where my parents fell in love. They used to take us out here for picnics. Tell us stories about when they were young," Soda explained. His eyes became soft and wet. I hugged him. 

    "You miss them don't you?"

    He sighed softly, "Everyday."

    "I miss my mom and dad too."

    "Does it get better?" I think he knew the answer to that but just wanted reassurance.

    "It does. You'll have your days and you'll always miss them. There will come a time when missing them doesn't hurt as much," I replied. 

    He wrapped his arms around me, "Thank you."

    We sat in his truck, just holding each other. He was quiet for a while but then started to tell me about the memories he had there. His parents seemed like angels. They must have been if they made someone like Sodapop.

    After a while, we went and looked at Christmas lights. That was something I did every year. I loved to look at how creative people could get. We drove around for twenty minutes or so before we arrived at our last adventure of the night. One of Buck Merrill's famous parties. 

    "What a way to end the night," I joked as we pulled up. 

    "It's going to be fun. Trust me."

    Two-Bit and Dally were already there when we walked in. Two-Bit had a new black eye. 

    "What happened to you?" I asked.

    "Sometimes, guys pick up the wrong girl. That blonde, she was the wrong girl," he explained. "Boyfriend caught us."

    "He sure did man," Dally laughed. Two-Bit punched him in the arm. 

    They were playing pool so Soda and I decided to join them. I had been playing pool with my dad since I was twelve. I was a little rusty at first but Soda and I won the first game. And the next. 

    "Damn Rouse. I underestimated your pool skills," Two-Bit said after I struck the 8-ball into the hole. 

    "Most do," I winked. 

    Soda and I danced a while after playing pool. Then we all had a few drinks and watched people have fun. I had never been to one of Buck's parties but it definitely lived up to the standards. 

    After a while, Dally leaned over and whispered something to Two-Bit, pointing to a few guys at the pool table. Two-Bit grinned and they both slid off the bar stool. 

    "What are you two up to?" I asked, knowing what kind of trouble could follow a grin like that. 

    "Just gonna go make some light cash," Dally winked. Two-Bit slapped him on the back and they walked back over to the pool tables. 

    "The great hustlers are back at it again," Soda chuckled.

    "Hustlers? Doesn't that kind of stuff get messy?" I asked.

    "Yeah, if you're not careful. Dally usually knows what he's doing."

    "I don't think a duo like that can ever be careful," I joked, watching Dally and Two-Bit shake hands with the guys they were watching. 

    "Well, the deal is sealed. Now we get to sit here and watch the fun happen."

    We watched as they played a few games. Two-Bit and Dally let the other two win at first before they started pulling out their tricks. You could tell the others were getting angry as they lost more and more money. 

    "This is the best part," Soda said, taking a sip of his drink. 

    "What's that?" I asked. 

    "Oh they'll get into a little argument once they figure out what game they're playing. Buck will break it up and kick the other two out so Dal can keep his money. Hell, he will spend it right here at the counter."

    Soon enough, their argument started. One of the guys got in Dally's face which I knew wouldn't end well. Then, before Dally could, the guy threw the first punch, hitting Dally right in the jaw. A fight erupted.