Midnight Adventures

As the end of the school year seemed to get closer and closer, the thoughts of college filled my mind again. To be completely honest, I was stressed about it. I had narrowed it down to Oral Robert's University or The University of Tulsa. Since Oral Robert's was such a new school, I was more focused on The University of Tulsa.

    I was mainly stressed about the fact that I had no idea what I wanted to study. I felt like I had so many options, such little time, and no one to go to for help. I felt like I was suffocating from all the pressure. Pressure from my teachers, from the colleges themselves, Elizabeth, and even my boss Rose.

    Sodapop tried to help me get my mind off of it all but that was the exact opposite of what I needed to do. I had kept my mind off of it for so long that it was almost too late to even apply for college. I pulled myself together enough to send applications to both colleges. I wondered which would be worse, the anxiety of not knowing what I wanted to study or the anxiety of not knowing if I could even get into college.

    "Are you kidding me?" Soda asked as we were laying in his bed. No one was home after school so I had come over. I was telling him all about my problems. "There is no way they wouldn't let you in. You're so smart. It would be silly if they didn't accept you."

    "I think they'll accept me," I sighed. "I just want to have a plan."

    He wrapped me tighter in his arms, "The best things in life don't come with a plan. Find a major that fits your interests. Take a few classes and if you like it, stick with it. If you don't, you can always switch it up."

    A smile spread across my face. His words were comforting. No matter how much I wanted a plan, I knew it would be okay if I didn't have one.

    "How about this," he proposed, runnning his fingers through my hair. "I'll pick you up at midnight tonight. We'll go find something to get your mind off of it all."

    "Midnight? You think I'll be awake at midnight?" I joked.

    "If it means you'll be with me yes. I'll bring coffee."

    I smiled, "Okay Sodapop."

    It was around midnight when I heard Soda's fingers tapping on my window. I instantly smiled. Elizabeth and Ada should have been asleep by now so I hoped I was in the clear. I grabbed my jacket and opened the window. Soda helped me out and we quietly ran to his truck.

    "I parked a little down the street so they wouldn't hear us," Soda said.

    "I see you've done this before," I smiled. He grinned and winked at me.

    We got into the truck and started towards our unknown destination. I don't know what it was about watching Soda drive late at night. He was always nodding his head along to a song. Sometimes he would put his hand on my thigh or hold my hand. They way the street lights hit his face made him look majestic.

    "I'm in love with you," I sighed. I hadn't meant to say it out loud but it was true. I realized then that I had never been more in love with anyone in my life. I could spend the rest of my life with him.

    He looked at me, "Took the words right out of my head."

    I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. Soon, we pulled up to our spot. The DX. I laughed.

    "Seriously? Your work? That's where you go on your midnight adventures?" I asked.

    "No," he chuckled. "I just park here. The real treat is a little ways away."

    We got out of the truck, grabbed our bags, and started walking. Soda pulled out a flashlight. It had rained all day so the night was dark and chilly. He took my hand and led me into a wooded area.