Chapter 9

Flashback

The dragons growled as the shadows divided, until only a single solid person was visible. So, the rumors aren’t true. Erebos lives, I thought to the others and they growled in agreement.

“You aren’t welcome here, sis,” Erebos grinned. There were deep purple bags under his eyes and he looked deathly.

“Really? The dragons seem to welcome me just fine.” I motioned to the others, resisting a sudden urge to spit on my biological brother’s shiny new boots.

“Ah, but my Firscath don’t. Boys, she’s all yours.” He walked away whistling a love song as he went.

My swords glowed fiercely as the Firscath grew nearer and the roof above us began to sag even more. Several fireballs landed in front of me, scattering several of my brother’s creations as they exploded.

Zora, run. We shall hold off the foul creatures. Calathiel breathed another fire blast at the shadows and the roof collapsed at the back of the stables.

“But you’ll all die. The stables are collapsing. Just let me fight them and we can all leave-” I began.

No, you are more important than you’ll ever know. We are willing to die for you. Calathiel bowed towards me, for the last time.

“But I’m not willing to let you die for me. Come on, please!” I felt water drift down my cheekbones. “Please don’t die for me.”

Go, Zora! Calathiel roared towards me. Slade did the same thing. Go!

I shook my head angrily and lifted my wings again, the furrows created in the wind from the fire shooting me into the sky.

That’s it! I have put up with enough of my brother’s antics. I. . . I will fly to the mountains. That was always the plan if something like this happened. Slade said we would always meet there. . . So that’s where I’ll go. And if I meet Erebos along the way, that’s an added bonus.