Chapter 18

It hadn’t always been easy, blending in as a human. Or as a Jierdarvien, for that matter. The wings had been a constant problem, and every couple hundred of years, I would somehow develop scales on the top level of my skin.

I’ve always been able to fight that off with magic. Believe me, it’s not nearly as easy as it sounds. All energy comes from somewhere. In alchemy, it comes from the dead of other worlds. In life, it usually comes from the breaking down of foods and a gathered amount of rest. In magic, it comes from everything. From every blade of grass, to every human heartbeat, to a solar flare on the sun. That’s why so few can catch more than glimpses at its power, I suppose.
I am telling you this for a good reason. Everything comes at a price. I have had to remember that through the years as allies, companions, comrades, and acquaintances alike have fallen.
Life is a lot like flying, I suppose. The highs will feel great, especially when you’re gliding along with the thermals to guide you. But every once in a while, you might run into turbulence, or have to go into a steep dive. But looking back, you realize that the dives and turbulence were the best part, because otherwise flying would be truly effortless, and never have a single thrill about it. And those who fly with you make it truly memorable.

I thought all of this as I sat in bed, letting my bare feet sweep the floor. What was the point of my struggles, really? I wasn’t supposed to be alive. (Even though my brother was in that same boat.) And the people I would continually help . . . eventually, they would fade away, and I would be left on my own again. Despite my age, I still had a childish mindset at times. I guess that was one of the few reasons I had made it this far without the Diadhach. The one thing I knew of that could kill me. Believe me, I’ve tried everything else. I’ve got the scars to prove it too.

“Zora?” Alana poked her head in, jerking me away from my deep and dark thoughts. “Are you okay? You kind of stormed out of there.”

“And you were elected to find me?” I pulled my knees under my chin.

“Well, to be fair, I have sort of known you the longest. And we think we may have found you your army,” she motioned for me to follow and explained herself on the way.

“Humans!!” I exclaimed when I was sure she had finished. “But none of you know how to kill the Firscath. You don’t even know how to use swords anymore!”

“Maybe, but we do have the massive transportation available that you would need for a army. I don’t think horses and carts are gonna work, girly,” she playfully punched my shoulder. “Instead of doing everything for yourself for a change, accept a little help. It’s a part of being human.”

“Being human,” I echoed, and gave her half a laugh.

“What?”

“You know more than anyone that I am not human, Alana. So why do you still trouble yourself with pretending that I am?” I asked.

“Maybe because you aren’t the terrorist that some thought you were.” My head whipped around at the sound of a male voice and I found Frank Birscoe. “And the funny thing is, you seem to have more humanity within you than some humans do. So tell us what you need,” he said as Alana led me to the window. Standing outside of the window, there were many people wearing bulletproof vests, with guns at their sides.

“So, tell me, Faith. What’s your plan?”