29

“You ready?” My mom walked into the bus.

I nodded. “Sam!”

She ran straight into me, wrapping her arms around my thighs and grinning up at me. “Hi mommy.” She giggled. I smiled down at her and sat down on the couch with her in my lap.

My mom sat down next to me. “Sammy, I…” I couldn’t continue so my mom talked to her.

“You know how your mommy has to work?” Sam nodded. “Well, me and your papa miss you so much that we were wondering if you wanted to stay here with us while mommy works.”

“But I want to stay with mommy…” Sam put her head on my chest.

“I know you do but we’ll have so much fun!” My mom said then whispered loudly. “We can make your mommy jealous by all the fun we’ll have.” Sam hesitated then nodded. I sighed and put my arms around her, pulling her closer against me. “I’ll go put her stuff in the car.” My mom said then kissed my head and stood up.

Sam buried her head in my chest and put her legs on the either side of my thighs as I sat on the sofa. I had my arms around her. We just stayed in that positon in silence.

The door to the bus opened and the girls walked in. They gave me a sad smile and I just watched them as they sat in the lounge with us.

Soon enough, Morgan came in. “One hour girls.” The girls nodded while I just stared at Sam. I think all the girls knew not to say anything. Then Morgan went outside again.

My mom, dad and Brandon walked in. They looked at me and I just shook my head as tears started to form.

“We’re about to leave…” My dad said.

“Sam, say bye to the girls.” I whispered and Sam reluctantly got off my lap. I immediately missed her.

I walked over to my family and hugged them.

“You better take care of her.” I said and my voice cracked.

“We will.”

“No, you take care of her. You take care of her better than you took care of me.”

“Ally…” My mom wiped a few tears on my face. “We will. I promise you.” I nodded and saw Sam finish saying bye to the girls.

I bent down in front of Sam and took her small hands in my own. “You have to be a good girl for nana and papa okay?” Sam nodded and I pulled her into my embrace. “I’ll call you everyday and talk to you.”

“I don’t want to go.” She mumbled into my chest.

“I know baby. I don’t want you to go either.” I kissed her head. “You remember what I said to you last night?” She shook her head and I chuckled. “I’m the luckiest person in the world because I have you. I love you, more than what?” I asked her.

“Lauren…”

“Not just Lauren, I love you more than anything. I love you the mostest.” I felt tears fall harder and I let out a single sob. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too mommy.”

I glanced at my mom signaling that she could take her.

“Come on Sammy, time to go.” My mom said softly as she rubbed her back.

Sam held tighter on to my neck. “It’s okay Sam. I’ll see you soon.” I whispered in her ear.

She slowly let go of my neck and took my mom’s hand.

I watched as they walked out, trying not to run after them. When they were out of view and the door had shut I started crying uncontrollably.

I turned around and saw the girls with tears in their eyes. Lauren walked over to me and put her arms around me. I felt her kiss my head as I sobbed into her chest.

I felt Lauren move us and I somehow ended in my bunk. Lauren laid in with me and just stayed the while I cried.

Occasionally I heard ‘it’s okay’ and ‘shh, don’t cry’.

The bus started moving and I fell asleep, crying.