Monday, September 14th

PART II - SOFIA

Helen and Jamie were strolling down the hallway. They hold hands and smiled at each other. Was every single couple determined to rub their beautiful relationship in my face? I nearly bumped into Jamie, and I made a little jump to avoid that to happen. Hopefully, Helen didn't see it.

Pathetic, I said to myself. For one, apparently, I forgot how to walk, and secondly, I cared what Helen thought about me.

"Good morning, class."

Mrs. Carter was my favorite teacher at this school. She was kind and interested in her students' opinions and gave us The Hate U Give to read which is probably one of my favorite books. Though I had already read it, I was super excited to discuss it in class.

Baker rushed to his seat next to me and bumped his fist into mine.

"It's been 10 days since we started reading this book and I thought it was time for a little evaluation. You'll find the link in the Google Classroom. Read the questions carefully and answer them earnestly." She glanced at her watch. "You have ten minutes."

A rustling started when everyone was reaching for their phone or laptop. I opened the link and scanned through the questions.

How much of the book did you read until now?

    a) Less than seven chapters

    b) approximately seven chapters (as asked of you)

    c) more (specify) _______

How interesting do you find it on a scale from 1 (Garbage) to 10 (Best book I've ever read)?

Who is your favorite character and why?

Describe one scene that stood out to you (maybe it was emotionally wrecking or especially funny or reminded you of something).

Open your book on page 42 and note three different stylistic devices.

Can you see yourself reading more of Angie Thomas's work?

After the class, Mrs. Carter asked Helen and me to stay behind.

"Girls, I wanted to ask you: Since you two already read the book, would you like to work the project together one another one?"

Helen and I looked at each other awkwardly.

"I love the fact that we are taking a new approach to Romeo and Juliet, but I think that you two need to become far more comfortable around each other." While speaking, she fished two books out of her back. "Here, I got you these."

She handed us each a copy of With the Fire on High which had been on my TBR list for a year, ever since Elizabeth Acevedo published that book. I had read Poet X and loved it so much.

"Have you read it?"

We both shook our heads.

She smiled at each of us. "I get that you don't know each other that well yet, so I thought you might just do this together and get to spend some time together. What do you think?"

I could sense that neither of us was happy with this arrangement. On the other side, I didn't know anyone. And I knew that Helen was a very good student. It could be worse.

"Yeah, sure," I said.

Helen looked up at me.

"Yeah, sure," she echoed. But she didn't look sure. She looked like she regretted what she said the moment the words had left her mouth.

Mrs. Carter on the other hand had the biggest grin on her face. "You are two wonderful girls. I am so excited about what you come up with in your brilliant minds."