Monday, November 16th

PART I - SOFIA

Helen Collins @Me // 06:58 AM: Good morning 🧡

Helen Collins @Me // 06:58 AM: Are you picking me up today?

Waking up to texts from Helen was the best feeling. It conjured a smile on my face, and I wanted to scream into my pillow for feeling this way.

Me @Helen Collins // 07:01 AM: yes :) I'll be there in half an hour

She sent a gif with Alice waiting impatiently.

I hurried to get ready. It took me quite a detour to pick her up, but I didn't mind. It gave me fifteen more minutes with Helen.

Like most days, she stood outside when I arrived. She was talking to someone over the phone. Through the open window, I could hear her say, "Yes, Grandma, I will ask her ... Yes, look, she just arrived, give me a second."

She took her place in the passenger seat and looked at me: "Can we get Aimee and Aaron on our way? Their car broke down."

I nodded. "Sure."

"Grandma? Tell them we'll be there in a minute. We won't wait, though."

I came to a stop at her grandparents' house. I had passed it multiple times on my way to Helen and was struck by its beauty over and over again. The house was contorted with turrets, oriel windows, and inclined windows that suggest stairs behind them. The plaster was white and a perfect contrast to the dark green window frames.

The twins and a woman, probably Helen's grandmother, came through the gate to my car. Aimee kissed Helen on the cheek from the backseat and squeezed my shoulder, Aaron murmured "Morning". Her grandma signed Helen to open the window.

"Thank you so much, Sofia."

"You're welcome, Mrs. Collins."

"Would you like to come for dinner tonight? Just a small compensation."

My eyes flickered over to Helen, but she just hinted a shrug.

"I would love to, thank you so much."

"That makes me so happy. See you tonight, Sofia, Helen-Darling, my two lovely children in the back."

"Mo-om," said Aimee.

"We really need to leave, Grandma, or we'll be late."

Family function, huh? I worked my way right up to the top.

"Sorry for that," Aimee said once we were on our way.

I chuckled. "Don't worry, she seems really nice."

"She is to strangers," Aaron said under his breath.

Aimee smacked his arm and said: "Thank you for driving us, Sofia."

"My pleasure."

Helen took the aux cable and turned on some music. She hadn't said anything for the last few minutes, so I asked her quietly: "Is it okay that I accepted the invitation? I can always fake a stomachache."

She smiled at me and raised her hand which made me think she was about to touch my hand, my arm, my face, but she let it sink again. "No, of course, it's okay."