Monday, December 7th

HELEN

She was absent.

Not her body, her mind.

Ever since she slept at mine.

I turned my head to look at her but she stared at the sheet in front of her.

Why wouldn't she speak to me?

When I looked at her the next time, Jonathan poked her arm but Sofia just shook her head.

For a week I've been rummaging through my brain about what happened that made her isolate herself from me. I remember waking up on Tuesday with her gone, two texts on my phone with a timestamp at 5:17 AM.

Didn't wanna wake you.

Love you.

Didn't wanna wake you.

Love you.

Didn't wanna wake you.

Love you.

After that, she avoided me at school, ignored most of my texts, only answered one of my phone calls.

Just thinking about it brought tears to my eyes. I stared at the paper in front of me. Mrs. Carter offered us an optional class before our exam on Wednesday. I didn't know why Sofia even showed up when she didn't pay any attention.

During the break, I met with Jonathan in the library.

"You're right," he says.

"Of course I'm right." I stared at my hands.

"She texted someone during class. If I read it right, his name is Francisco. Has she ever mentioned someone called Francisco?"

I shook my head. "Not that I recall."

Jonathan put an arm around my shoulder. "She definitely has her reasons."

My hands hurt from clenching them together. "I didn't doubt that for a second. I just wished she would speak to me."

"She'll talk when she's ready."

Today was not the day.

Sofia was not at rehearsal and I covered for her, saying she left for home because she wasn't feeling well. Mrs. Carter nodded knowingly, she probably noticed that Sofia wasn't concentrated this morning. She set an extra rehearsal for Friday afternoon and let us leave half an hour early because people were complaining that they needed to study. I myself was exhausted from a biology exam this morning and my mind was still occupied with the thought of Sofia.

Jonathan was a welcome distraction. He asked me to go to his mother's rehearsal this evening. We got something quick to eat on our way into the city and went into the theater through the backdoor.

I got jealous – well no, sad – seeing them together, their tight hug and small laughter over a joke I didn't quite understand. Miss Baker was one of those people I could woo with a nice smile and some small talk. I complimented her costume and she gave me a genuine hug in return.

Jonathan and I sat in the back row and let the atmosphere take us to Neverland and for a moment – a moment that almost made me feel guilty – I forgot about Sofia.

My heart hurt the moment her face flashed again before my eyes.

I took my phone and texted her for the first time today. My hands were shaking by the time I pressed send.

Me @Sofi Gutiérrez // 08:36 PM: My mom and I, we used to do this thing where one of us said "Real Talk" and asked a question. The other one had to answer truthfully. We started when I was very young but she never exploited that possibility. I knew that I could be honest with her and she wouldn't get angry when I told her the truth. We would try and find a solution. Can we do that, Sofia? Real Talk: What is going on? This is killing me. Please, talk to me.