Monday, October 12th

PART II - SOFIA

Looking back, yes, I had worried that my different groups of friends would clash.

Did I think it would have those effects? Hell no.

Until now, I couldn't really make sense of it.

Was it my fault they split up?

No, of course, it wasn't.

It was a little bit, though.

It was Maria's fault too, I guess.

And Jamie's.

And Helen's.

The party had started great, everyone kind of knew each other because they were all seniors and at one point or another, they had been in the same class. The atmosphere was great. My mom and I had made typical Mexican food, there was even a vegan option because I knew at least Helen was vegan, and I believed Jenny was a vegetarian.

Santiago had bought us alcohol; one bottle of tequila, one bottle of rum, a few beers. He made sure Mom didn't see it when he handed me the bag with a wink.

Helen had been drunk. Well, not drunk, tipsy. We all were. But it was the weirdest on Helen.

Seeing her loosen up was something different. She laughed, she was loud, she made jokes. We all were. But it was the most beautiful on Helen.

I looked around a lot. For one, it was great seeing my friends sitting there in a circle, talking, joking. It also gave a reason to look at Helen. My heart skipped a beat, every time my eyes fell on her. And they on her and Jamie's entangled fingers, my stomach felt like I was falling a thousand feet.

"Where do you guys know each other from?" Jenny asked, meaning Helen and me.

"We're in the school play together," I said.

"That is so cool," she said pointing with a beer in her hand on me. "What are you playing?"

I laughed. I couldn't even say it.

"Rosaaaa and Juliet," said Helen, dragging the a.

Jenny giggled. "Rosa as in - oh, you're Romeo," she realized, again, pointing with a can of beer on me.

"Play something!" Maria requested.

Helen laughed and buried her face in her hands, but she stood up. Until now, we had only read lines, not actually acted them out. Here goes to nothing, I thought. She got up on a chair and said,

"Ay me."

The balcony scene. I crouched behind Baker and looked up at her. Her gaze wandered around the living room's walls.

"O Rosa, Rosa, wherefore"

"You sound like Doug Judy," Bonnie chimed in. I giggled, Helen rolled her eyes and started again.

"O Rosa, Rosa, wherefore art thou Rosa?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name,

Or if though wilt not, be but sworn my love,

And I'll no longer be a Capulet."

I could not believe how she stood there, drunken, on a stool, and recited Romeo and Juliet perfectly. It went completely still. I whispered:

"Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?"