CHAPTER 16

"So, how were your holidays with the Weasleys?" asked Grandpa as I seated myself at the table. I had reached home only last evening and had gone straight to my bedroom to sleep.

"Good" I said, not wanting to go into the details.

George and I still hadn't spoken to each other, making it a very awkward affair although I don't think anyone else noticed. Instead, I spent my time getting to know the rest of the Weasleys, Sirius and Harry.

"How many people were there? They're a large group, the Weasleys" chuckled grandpa.

"Oh no, it wasn't just the nine Weasleys, it was also the guests, Harry, Sirius Black -I don't know if you know him- Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks" I said absent-mindedly.

"What?" he said, his voice lowering, as if trying to figure out if he had heard me right.

I mentally facepalmed, he wasn't supposed to know that Remus was there, or that I was at Grimmauld.

"What on earth were you doing with Remus Lupin? And S-Sirius Black?" he said. I noticed that his voice shook a little.

"Why? What's wrong with that? They're friends of the Weasleys" I shrugged.

"You should stay away from them" he warned.

I got up from my seat, not interested in hearing anything else he had to say.

"Why? So that you can protect more of your lies from coming out? I've had it grandpa! 20 years of my live I've spent, trying to figure out what it is that you're always hiding from me, I know it has something to do with me" I said, I don't know what came over me but I felt angry.

"Sit down, don't be so silly, there's nothing I'm hiding from y-"

I turned around and walked away, walking out, out into the melting snow and away from that goddamn house. At this point, I didn't know who else to go to. Hermione and Ginny were back at Hogwarts and I didn't think speaking to George or Fred was the best idea. The only person who might be able to understand me, was Draco.

.

"Eve! Welcome back!" he smiled at me, enveloping me into a warm hug. 

"Hi, can I come in?"

"'Course"

Draco and I walked into his living room, he seemed oddly happy today. I sat on the sofa as he conjured two cups of tea.

"So, how was Christmas?" he asked.

I was done lying to him, he had to know the truth. I knew how it felt to be lied to, and I didn't want Draco to experience the same thing.

"There's something I want to talk to you about" I blurted.

"Go on"

I played with my fingers, unsure where to start.

"Promise you won't be upset? Or mad? I just-"

"Shh just tell me" he said impatiently.

"I spent the holidays with the Weasleys" I said plainly, what was the point of sugarcoating it?

"You what?"

"The Weasleys, Harry Potter and Sirius Black"

"Potter- Sirius Black?" he said, confused. I nodded.

I had expected him to burst out, to yell at me, maybe even hit me but he didn't.

"Did anything happen?" he asked. We both knew what he was referring to. Looking at his face, I felt the courage being wiped out of me. I couldn't do it.

"N-no"

The tension in his shoulders released a little as he sighed.

"I don't like that you lied to me but if nothing happened, I believe you, just-don't go near them again" he said, sitting next to me.

I was a terrible girlfriend. Terrible.

He placed both his hands on my cheeks and leaned in for a kiss. Before I knew it, he was hovering over me on the couch and placing kisses down my neck, but for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to feel the pleasure, my mind kept drifting back to the words of a certain redhead,

'You're different when you're with him'

What did he mean by that? It had been eating away at me for months. I had to know what it meant.

"Are you okay?" Draco asked, looking up at me. I didn't even realise that he had reached to my stomach, my t-shirt already pulled up to reveal my skin.

I nodded even though I was not okay. I was definitely not okay.

.

Today was my first day at work after the holidays, I had spent the whole of last week moping in bed. I didn't know why I felt so upset, alone. I missed my mum, I missed James, the only two people who could understand me well.

I made my way to Diagon Alley and entered the shop, only to see George at the counter. Apart from that, it was completely empty.

"Good Morning" he said, only sparing me a mere glance.

"Morning" I said coldly, immediately trying to distract myself from all the boxes that had collected over the week.

Ron had decided to become an Auror which meant that he would no longer be at the joke shop, this made it even worse because it meant that George and I were the only ones working it.

"Aren't you going to hire someone else?" I asked not looking at him, I doubted that the two of us alone could handle everything.

"I already did" he said, not looking up from his paperwork.

"Who?" 

"Jenna" he said.

My heart sank in my chest when he mentioned her. I wasn't sure why.

"And where is she? Jenna? She's a bit late isn't she?" I said drily, looking at my watch.

"Oh she's upstairs, probably getting changed" he shrugged.

I felt as if someone had dropped a bomb on me. Getting changed? Did that mean that they had been sleeping together? But I knew that it was none of my business, so I tried not to think much about it, even though he had seemed to move on from the night at Grimmauld's place much quicker than I had imagined. 

Technically, there was nothing to move on from and I didn't blame him, it's not like I wasn't sleeping with Draco. I just didn't think it would've been Jenna out of all people.

"Oh, okay" I said emotionlessly, trying to make it sound like I didn't care. George eyed me for a few seconds, probably trying to gauge my reaction.

There was a sound of light footsteps and Jenna appeared, a massive smile on her face.

"Evelyn! So glad I'm going to get to work with you!" she smirked before walking over to George, grabbing his face and pulling him in for a kiss. More like a heated make-out session. I looked away from the two of them, trying to mind my own business.

But inside, I felt as if my heart had been wrenched from my chest. Why did I feel this way? I was the one who told George that nothing could happen between us. When had I fallen for him so quickly?

Either way, there wasn't anything I was going to do about it. Nothing at all.

I glanced at them once again, George's hands clutching her waist and her hands, entangled in his hair. For some reason, George looked as if he was trying to break away, but that must have been my imagination playing tricks on me.