CHAPTER 28

When we got back home that evening, Fred seemed slightly more relaxed. He never told us anything but I could tell that he had just started to come to terms with what he remembered. But he needed time. He went back up to his bedroom and George and I stayed downstairs.

He walked over to me after sorting out a couple of things behind the counter. Tucking a few strands of hair behind my ears with both his hands, he looked at me with his eyes full of concern.

"How are you? We didn't even get a chance to talk after the paternity test" he asked.

Oddly enough, I felt fine. Maybe I was better off without knowing who my father was, I felt lighter and more free that way.

"You know what? I think I need a drink" I said.

"What?" he said, confused.

"I feel fine Georgie, I really do. But I just want to be with you now. I don't care who my father is, I've lived twenty years without him and I've done fine" I sighed.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely"

He pulled out his wand to pull out two glasses and a bottle of firewhiskey from underneath the counter.

"Firewhiskey under the counter of your joke shop? Not very professional" I tutted.

"When have we ever been professional?" said George, handing me a glass and pouring some whiskey into it. I brought it to my lips and sipped, letting the liquid burn my throat. George followed.

We sat with our backs against the counter, sipping from our glasses and letting the events of the day register in our minds.

"That place you took us to, what was it?" asked George, already pouring another glass for himself.

"Saxon Mill, in Warwick. Mum used to take us there in the summers, me and James" I said, thinking back to the memory.

George slipped his hand into mine and I enjoyed the warmth of it. The drink had gone straight to my head and I felt hot. I sloppily tried to get up, stumbled on to my feet and unzipped the hoodie I was wearing. I threw it as far away from me as I could, and he watched me from his seat on the floor.

"The moon's shining on you" he murmured, his eyes roaming my body. I felt myself shiver slightly, which was odd considering it was quite hot. As always, we had forgotten to install any candles in the shop so it was pretty dark too. George lifted the glass to his lips and downed the entire drink.

I remained standing still, watching him. The smooth, freckled skin on his throat as he pushed his head backwards to drink from his glass. The uncoordinated movement of his nimble fingers as he tried to set the glass down by his side. His eyes moving lazily up and down my body.

I began to feel myself heat up even more and I tugged at the hem of my t-shirt, pulling it off. George stared at me more intently,

"You're so beautiful Eve" he whispered, watching my actions.

I didn't feel exposed when I stood in front of him like this. In fact, I felt safer than I ever had.

"I was going to say the same thing to you George" I whispered back. The whiskey had started to wipe all my inhibitions away as I continued my strip tease, slowly unbuttoning my pants. I let them drop down and stepped out of it, pushing it away from me.

"And you keep getting more beautiful" he murmured before extending his arms in front of him and resting his hands on my bare hips. His skin was warm on mine as he traced his thumbs on my sides, causing goosebumps to rise everywhere.