Partners In Crime (Part 5) - Xander DeWitt

Y/N's POV

The next day, I woke to find Xander staring at me with a smile on his face. "You know it's rude to stare," I smirked up at him. "I can't help it," Xander said, "You're so beautiful."

I playfully rolled my eyes at him and moved away. "I'm gonna go take a shower," I told.him and waved before walking away.

*Timeskip*

Kenzie and I sat by the stairs outside Grandpa DeWitt's house as Xander fixes his scooter. "What's some old science project have to do with his disappearance?" Kenzie asked.

Last night, Xander left my side to watch a video with Charlie while I was asleep.

"Hard to say, but I think I know what brought down the library and the diner," Xander replied.

"And my guess it's the Computerized Remote Activated Targeted Earth Rupture," I said while looking at the notepad that Kenzie is holding. "Exactly," Xander smiled at me, "Somebody is trying to put C.R.A.T.E.R. back online."

"I see, well, I'll go call the commissioner to find out which supervillains are on the loose," Kenzie said which irritated Xander. "Kenzie, don't act like I'm crazy! Alright, don't you see what's coming?" He yelled, before some child sprayed him with water from a hose. My mouth fell open as Xander fell back and shielded himself from the water. "Hey! Ok!" Xander yelled.

"Yeah take that! Maybe now I'll get some service around here," the kid replied. "Cara Jean you can blast my partner all you want, but that is not gonna bring your dog back!" Kenzie lectured. My eyes darkened and slapped her shoulder. "Why would you say that?" Xander asked.

The kid turned the water off for a few seconds before spraying him again. I got up and grabbed the hose from the kid's hands and turned it off, "Knock it off you little brat," I hissed. Cara placed her hands on her hips and eyed me up and down, "What did you just say to me?"

I turned to Xander as Kenzie tossed him a towel. "Skyler McMuffin has been missing for four day, she could be in danger. Do you know what it's like to loose your best friend?" Cara said.

Xander and I made eye contact and I can tell he remembers his dad.

"Ok let's start at the beginning. You tried the pound?" Xander gave up.

"Of course I've tried the pound! Idiot," Cara snapped back.

Xander made a scrunched up face. "Ok I'm just gonna overlook that, has he ever run away before?"

"Uh twice this summer but both times he came home the next day,", Cara replied. Xander smiled, "I have an idea."

*************

"When did Skyler go missing? Remember the dates?" Xander asked Cara as the four of us walked inside of school.

"Uhm..."

"July 9th? August 18th?" Xander questioned her. "I think that's about right. How did you know?" Cara said.

"July 9th was the day the library collapsed. August 18th was the diner," Xander said. I smiled, "You're onto something Xan," I remarked as we stood in front of a board with several missing dog posters. "Here, notice anything?" Xander asked.

"Bixler's got some ugly dogs?" Cara asked.

Xander narrowed his eyes a bit at Cara. "No... Well, actually, yeah, but that's not what I'm saying. My point is, you know how some people believe that dogs can sense an earthquake before it happens?"

"But we haven't had any earthquake," Cara reasoned. "Unless they are small. Isolated earthquakes too small for humans to feel," Xander said, "Maybe Skyler McMufffin knows something we don't. Maybe the big ones are still on the way."

I tried piecing the informations together to see where Xander is heading.

"I just want my dog back, and excuse my language but this sounds like a load of baloney," Cara retorted. Xander looks at Kenzie for back up.

"I'm a journalist, I stick to facts... You're talking Sci-fi," Kenzie said. Xander then looks at me with hope in his eyes.

"Xander who would want to start an earthquake so big it could take hundreds of lives away, this just seems so impossible," I carefully said.

Xander scoffed, "You three think I'm crazy."

"We never said that," Kenzie protested. "But you're thinking it," Xander hissed.

"I mean, Skyler McMuffin licks his own butt. I don't think he's smart enough to predict the weather," Cara spoke. "I'm not talking about the weather! You know what, you guys just don't get it. Even you, Y/N. We've been through so much and you're just gonna leave me dangling when we're so close to finding my dad, who also treats you like his own daughter?" Xander hissed in my direction.

My heart dropped. How dare he question my loyalty to his father!

I watched as he turns around and marched out of school. "Xander! Xan, come on don't be like that!" I called. I frowned and turned to Cara and Kenzie who looks at me apologetically.

"See, this is why we don't do pet troubles," I said and ran after Xander.

I caught him angrily marching his way back to his scooter. "Xander! Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it like that, I just--"

"You're my best friend, Y/N. My partner in crime. We did everything together and we've seen impossible things. How could you give up on me and my dad like that?" Xander asked as he turns to face me. "I will never give up on you and your family, Xan. All I'm saying is that this whole thing just seems impossible. Why would someone want to start an earthquake to begin with?" I said.

"Exactly! You won't believe me," Xander hissed as he glared in my direction. My eyes watered as I watched him hop on his scooter, wore his helmet and drove away.

I fell to the ground with an aching pain in my chest. It hurts as if my heart was ripped out of my chest and was being stepped on my herd of wildebeest.

How am I gonna fix this? I never meant to hurt Xander like that, but then again he is very sensitive when it comes to his father.

What have I done?

-------------------

Part 5 is done!!!

Hope you guys like this imagine.

I love you guys and stay safe.

Study and work hard!