Chapter 5: Bakugo's Challenge

2 weeks later.....

Izuku Midoriya sat at home thinking of his performance at UA. He knew he was in, and the shock had hit him yesterday. He almost cried. The letter was coming today. With that, he heard the sound of their mailbox slamming closed. He pushed himself up and ran outside. Sure enough, when he opened the box, a letter addressed to Izuku Midoriya was in there. A smile spread across his face. He suddenly felt the presence of someone though, and turned to his right.

Katsuki Bakugo was leaning on his mailbox.

"H-Hi Kaachan." He stammered. Bakugo didn't look mad or angry for once. He just looked at Midoriya contently.

"When did you get so good Midoriya?" He asked calmly.

"U-Um-" Midoriya stammered. Bakugo shook his head.

"Meet me tonight at 7:00, at the same basketball court where I told you we were no longer friends. If you want to ever stand on top with your hands in the sky, and raise a cup up to stadium lights, you better be able to keep up with me Deku." He then walked away, leaving Midoriya there with his envelope.

"Did he just make a song reference-" (tell me if you get it lol)

After Bringing the letter in, he read his letter of acceptance to his mother. She squealed and cried, and hugged a very happy Izuku Midoriya.

Soon enough though, it was nearing 7 o'clock. Midoriya put on his classic red sneakers, along with a pair of white shorts and an old High School jersey that said "Midoriya" on the back. He pulled on a Minnesota Timberwolves Jersey on that featured Toshinori Yagi on it, his basketball idol, which he hadn't seen for a while

On that note, a skinny, but tall, blonde man showed up out of seemingly nowhere. A surprised look from both ensued, with Midoriya being shocked into silence. Yagi spoke first.

"Congratulations kid! I heard you made the UA team!" Yagi exclaimed. "I'm proud of you!" Tears flooded Midoriya's eyes, but he wiped them out.

"Th-Thank you mister." He replied.

"Where are you going now?" He asked. A little hesitant, Midoriya told him.

"Bakugo challenged me to a One on One. I think...." A nod from Yagi followed. He suddenly smiled.

"I'll come watch!"

"Wh-What?! N-No! Besides, I'm probably gonna lose." Midoriya looked down, but a quick hug from Yagi made im look up.

"It's alright kid. You'll be fine. Besides, you won't even see me. Now, go." Midoriya smiled, as Yagi released him. A handshake followed and Midoriya kept heading to his destination.

Eventually Midoriya arrived at 7:05, a bit late. He looked around for Bakugo, but saw no sign of the explosive blonde. He thought maybe he left, thinking he wouldn't show up.

"You came." A voice said from behind him. Midoriya turned around. Bakugo was leaning against the hoop on the other side of the court. He wore the same outfit as Midoriya, and held a new basketball.

"Let's go benchwarmer."

No tip, no anything, he just came up the court with the ball. It was as if he had explosives for feet, with his insane ball speed and his jumping.

This was just like him.

He stood on defense, and Bakugo tried to get past him, but failed, Midoriya using his body. Bakugo's anger issues took over and he tried to jump OVER Midoriya and dunk the ball, but Midoriya, a great defender, jumped up to where he was, and deflected it. He landed and instantly sprinted for the ball while Bakugo was stunned. Though he wasn't half as fast as Bakugo, his technique was much better.

The second he grabbed the ball, Bakugo reacted, and used his explosive speed to catch up. But Technique reigned supreme, as he slammed on the brakes, and Bakugo was unable to stop. Midoriya put up a three point shot, and the ball went through. Bakugo no longer looked angry, Just determined.

He took the ball and exploded past Midoriya, then to rub it in, threw in a windmill dunk. Midoriya quickly took the ball again, then proceeded to dribble while hung on the rim.

"Hey!" Bakugo yelled, trying to catch up, but he landed on his foot funny, and collapsed. Midoriya, noticing this, stopped, and set the ball down. He turned around, and walked back to Bakugo.

"You ok Kaachan?" He put his hand out. Suddenly, Bakugo had a flashback. Back to when they were little children.

"Kaachan!" A young Midoriya yelled, as Bakugo fell off the log into the river below. Midoriya came down and stuck out his hand.

"You ok Kaachan?" Midoriya asked. He looked worried, and fear-striken. Bakugo rubbed his neck, and refused to take it, choosing to stand up on his own.

"I'm fine Deku." Now let's go again.

Bakugo looked at the hand, hating it, but also appreciating it at the same time. He reluctantly took it, surprising Midoriya.

"Let's end it here. I'm injured and i need my ankle at UA, as you will too." He put his hand out this time.

"Good Game Deku." Midoriya took it and shook it.

"Good Game."

From a distance, Yagi smiled happily. His new job was official now, and two of his students now had a mutual respect for each other.

This was the best day of a crappy year for him.

He would teach his student, Izuku Midoriya, how to become the new Symbol of Slam.

All Might looked at his phone and saw one missed message. He opened it, and saw a name that made him smile.

"Hey old man, Hope you're doing alright. Don't know if you saw the news, but we're a playoff team! Hope your injury heals for the playoffs.

I miss you. You're a fantastic mentor and a great player.

Well, hope to see you soon! I have to go, If I want to win that MVP trophy, I have to keep training."

~Thomas Dresser

A smile formed on Yagi's lips, remembering his teammate, a 24-year-old Star. A sigh escaped his mouth, remembering he hadn't been able to tell Thomas yet.

He wasn't going back.

His Basketball career had been finished since he collapsed on the court in Minneapolis, Minnesota, during a late, cold night, in February.