{ 𝟏 }

Shin stared down at the cluttered desktop. Written in bold black ink were hurtful words. Words that stung his heart until it swelled with despair.

Shin knew there was no point in seeking help. Ms. Kunihito never seemed to be any help to him anyways. She looked down upon him, he knew. She disapproved of his passions.

With a sigh, the boy pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and began to wipe away at the letters.

...

His pale fingers wrapped around the gem dangling from his choker. In times of disarray, Shin would fumble with the charm. It helped him calm himself.

"Higaonna-San?"

A voice called, Shin's eyes fluttered open. Suzuko stood in front of him with a face of worry.

"Yes?"

He replied, a light blush blotting his cheeks.

"I... have you been alright as of late? Those girls have been really out for you recently..."

She commented. Shin did not fail to notice her eyes drift toward his forearms and wrists.

"You haven't been..."

"No!"

He yelped, loud enough for the rest of the occult club members to turn their heads in his direction. Suzuko frowned for a moment, then gave him a small smile.

"I see. My apologies for asking..."

She said, and quietly made her way back to her corner, pulling out her book an sitting.

Shin sighed and sat back down in his own seat, practically burying his face in the worn pages. He didn't want to see the others gazing at him.

...

"How have you been?"

He asks sweetly, holding the phone to his ear.

"I-I've been better... but I'm still recovering..."

The voice of the occult club president rang in his ear, slightly scratchy through the receiver.

"Thats good. Get your rest, Ruto-San..."

He whispered, smiling ever so slightly.

"I will. Thank you, Shin."

She said, and he hummed.

"You're welcome, I promise to take good care of the club in your absence..."

He replied, and almost on cue, he could tell Oka was smiling.

"I trust you. Now, I have to go..."

"Oh, goodbye then, Ruto-San. Take care..."

He whispered, shutting his phone and tucking it into his pocket.

Shin took in a deep breath and leaned back. Alone on the rooftop he sat.

'Its better to be alone like this...'

He thought.

'Nobody can hurt you when you're alone...'

...

"Masuyama-San!"

"What is it, Rakuyama?"

Budo questioned, his signature bright smile on his face.

"Have you heard the rumors?"

She asked, tilting her head to the side. Budo stared at her with a confused expression.

"About Higaonna-San! You know... vice president of the occult club?"

She explained, a light laugh escaping her lips. Budo frowned.

"Mina! You know we don't tolerate rumors here!"

He scolded, and Mina groaned, eyes rolling to the side.

"It's not like that! I'm mentioning it because well... the rumors are starting to get out of hand..."

She whispered, hands clasping together as she stared down at them. This caught Budo's attention.

"W-what do you mean?"

"I... I'm starting to worry about him. Suzuko has told me she suspects he's hurting himself..."

"What?!"

"I would ask him myself... but I'd hate to pry. I was hoping maybe you could talk to him for me..."

Rakuyama sighed, eyeing the boy in front of her. Her eyes pleading for his help.

Budo nodded.

"I'll talk to him."

He said, and Mina smiled.

"Oh Masuyama-San! Thank you!"

She cheered, arms wrapping around him in a hug. Budo laughed and slowly brought his arms around her.

"Suzuko will be so happy! Thank you!"

Mina hummed, letting go of the boy.

"Now... how's about we all finally get to sparring?"

Budo suggested, and the remaining martial arts club members nodded, signifying the start of their after-school training.

...

Shin sighed, eyes scrolling over the hurtful things said about him once more. This time, posted on Hoshiko Mizudori's hate blog. Of course the comments were littered with more hateful words.

All of the girl's friends practically flocked to her most recent post and swarmed the comments. Musume always wrote the most harsh things. Though, she did find hurting others enjoyable.

Shin would never understand how she could be so cruel.

With a sigh, he set his phone down, dropping his bag down next to his desk, and standing.

As the sun began to set, he started walking towards the roof.

{ ♡ }